25~ Fallacy.

ZAYN'S POV

These days were the worst for me every year, every time they came around. I tried to keep the thoughts, the memories away. But how could I? They haunt me every year.

Even if it was years ago, I clearly remembered those hospital trips, the nights where I sat with Mum in her hospital room beside her bed, tightly holding her fragile hand in my small one, her telling me to never give Dad a hard time and take care of him. I had never understood why back then, she used to tell me she was very sick and was going to leave like Grandpa did.

I still remember those days when Dad won't tell me why he was crying, those last few days of... everything. I can't ever forget them.

And now here they are again. Seven years later, and I still miss Mum like hell. My friends know how much of a sensitive person I am, how much I let my emotions get to me, and how I prefer to close everyone off to deal with these emotions. I prefer to be alone these days, reminiscing about my dear mother, and they respect that. And I am grateful.

But... I wanted to talk to Niall again, I needed him here with me right now, as strange as it sounds. I feel like he would comfort me the best in a time like this, when I felt that no one can understand my pain.

But of course I'm a fucking idiot. And of course I had to hurt him, and make him hate me.

I wondered where he was right now. Did he even get closer to figuring out why he couldn't cross over? Did he find another counselor? Does he even remember me?

I shook away these thoughts and rolled out of bed, as my stomach rumbled. I was glad that it was a weekend, as I was in no state of going to school and sure as hell not for getting back in the basketball court.

I stifled a yawn, as I padded downstairs into the quiet, darkened kitchen, the early morning sunlight seeping through the flimsy curtains the only source of illumination.

Dad had left early for the court, he was too busy these days. But I know he is immersing himself in his work, -taking on extra cases- to avoid the pain. But I know he still loves Mum dearly. And he needs to move on.

I fixed myself a bowl of some corn flakes and steered towards the small living room. Plopping down on the couch, I switched on the telly, boredly flicked through the channels, as there was nothing remotely interesting on. I gritted my teeth as Grey's Anatomy suddenly came on, and I angrily switched off the TV, throwing the remote at the wall.

Fuck! I fucking hate hospitals! They couldn't save my Mum, and it's the place where the last days of my mother's life were spent, so they always trigger these negative emotions inside me.

The doorbell rung, and I audibly groaned. I do not want to see anyone right now. I rubbed the heels of my hands against my eyes wearily, wiping away the few shed tears. I peeled myself off the couch and trudging over to the door, I pulled it open to be greeted by Justin. And lately, I've never been happy to see him. Even more so today.

"Hey, Zaynie! You ready?" he grinned lopsidedly, running a hand through his bronze hair as he leaned against the doorframe. I noticed he had a leather jacket on, as it was a bit chilly outside.

I blinked. "Ready? For what?"

Justin's face faltered, as he disbelievingly peered at me from above his shades. "You promised to go to the movies with me today, don't you remember?"

Guess I wasn't listening. I've been a bit out of it lately. "Oh, um. Right. Justin, I really don't feel like going out today. Sorry," I shrugged.

Justin raised an eyebrow. "Why not? And why did you say yes then? I've already bought the tickets."