Chapter Four

The entourage that accompanied Dania and Lyla to the market consisted of the three young Elders who had assisted Lyla with preparing their morning meal. They never looked in Dania's direction often and when they did, they never seemed see her. Lyla made up for their lack of attention by keeping her busy looking at things along the way and talking to her as though she really were her mother. Lucas had been asked to join them, and Dania was relieved when he declined.

The town was big enough that markets were dotted all over, several miles away from each other. The plans had been laid by their ancestors to be most logical and capable of being expanded. A miniature version of the large market at the center lay in between clusters of houses. There was ample ability for anyone to thrive without causing competition amongst shop keepers. Being the closest, Lyla made for the largest market, stopping every so often to speak with a neighbor.

Without fail, every person she stopped to speak with held her in obvious high regard. Although she was now considered a lady, they still spoke to her as though they were the closest of friends. The familiarity was strange to Dania, as her family had never interacted with Elders or Healers unless they had need of them and that hesitance extended to any spouse. Of course, Lyla was unusual, being that she is the only non Healer to be married to an Elder, but it didn't negate the fact that she was married to one of the mysterious Elders.

"I grew up here, you know. I wasn't always with Elders. In fact, I didn't even meet Klellen until shortly before our wedding day."

The surprise Dania held for the way the people acted at Lyla was overshadowed by the shock of what had just been said.

"You didn't know him before marrying him?"

Lyla chuckled. "No, dear heart, it was not love that propelled us toward union, but rather, power."

Dania couldn't help but stop and stare at Lyla. Again, Lyla smiled.

"Yes, I know it is hard to understand. Adults frequently make strange decisions that make no sense to children." She paused. "I'm not certain it makes sense to me, either."

"How does such a thing come to be? My mother and father knew each other as children. Well, almost everyone I know knew each other really young before they got married. Is it different in town from how things are in the mountains"

"Oh," Lyla laughed, causing Dania to blush. "Dania, love, so much differs between the mountain people and the townsfolk." Seeing her blush, Lyla knelt down and brushed a thumb across her cheek.
"Do not allow such things to worry you. While you have much to learn about us, we have much to learn about you. You have so much to offer to us. So much change just having your presence here is possible."

Confused, Dania could only stare. She didn't understand enough to even know what questions she could ask to make sense of what Lyla meant. Lyla kissed her forehead and took her hand to lead her closer to the market. It wasn't long before smells of foods cooking, leathers freshly tanned, perfumes intertwined together - almost as heady as the garden, but not quite. The din of the people seemed subdued as they made their way from stall to inset store.

"Normally, this place would be alive with chatter of women gossiping, men hawking wares, and deals being made, but the plague has greatly decreased our number." Sadness pulled Lyla's eyes down as she scanned the diminished people who moved around as though they hadn't the willpower to be there.

Before long, they had reached the heart of the market and were greeted by a smiling young man somewhere in his twenties. He embraced Lyla with genuine love in his face. As they separated, Lyla gestured toward Dania.