Chapter Thirty-Four

The first thought to enter Mirabella's waking mind was that of pure white light, and joy. The night before, the Magiks put on quite the light show. That, coupled with Damien's delightful touch, it was true bliss. Not a single word could adequately describe how she felt as her mind wakened. She just had to settle for happy. Before opening her eyes, she surveyed all her senses. Breathing deeply brought in the spice of Damien, grass, trees, the hut's cedar. Pausing her breath to listen, she heard birds squawking, and Damien's own soft breath. Smiling, she let out her breath, and relished the feel of his arm under her head. Turning her head, she rubbed her cheek on his arm. Finally, she opened her eyes to look at her husband with new eyes. The eyes of a wife. Her heart felt as though it might burst.

Reaching up a hand, she stroked his cheek, feeling the rough stubble. He stirred under her light touch, and opened his mirrored eyes to drink in his new, little wife. He rolled slightly, bringing her closer, to kiss her deeply on her perfect lips. Warmth spread through his cool skin wherever she touched, like the elixir of life. He felt her smile against his lips, and pulled back as Mirabella giggled.

"What?"

"Your stubble." She wrinkled her nose, giggling again. The sound nearly drove him insane. He could never see her, or hear her enough to satisfy him. He didn't think it possible for his hunger for her to ever be satiated. He had the rest of his life to find out. Smiling, he put his hand on the lower half of his face, and pulled down, as though stroking a beard. Except, the opposite happened. By the time he reached the tip of his chin, his face was completely smooth again. Mirabella smiled, and nuzzled his chin with her nose, letting him know she approved.

Interlacing their fingers, the two lay, studying each other, as though they'd never seen each other before, and might never again. They knew they were on borrowed time, and when they went back to the House of the Elders, they would have to hide their union. It was a thought they both pushed to the back of their minds. They only concentrated on the 'now' of the situation.

Releasing her fingers, Damien traced her jawline with his fingertip, down to her collarbone. Mirabella smiled, and shivered.

"Are you cold?" Damien murmured against her neck, where he was echoing his finger's movements with his lips. She shook her head, and he trailed his fingers down her arm. When his fingers touched hers, she intertwined them again, pushing his hand to her belly. He paused his progress on her neck as his fingers brushed over her stomach. Lifting his head, he turned to look where his hand rested.

"What is it?" Mirabella asked.

He removed their entwined hands from her belly. Mirabella looked down at herself, and saw a fist sized lump where a flat belly was the night before. Sitting up, her eyes sparked as she sent a pulse of Healer Magik in, exploring the insides of her belly. The color drained from her face as the answer presented itself to her. Frantic, Damien shook his head.

"What? What is it? Mirabella, speak to me!"

Her voice was soft, almost inaudible, and would have been for the normal human hearing, but for a Changed One, it came through loud, and clear.

"I'm with child."

Damien let out a rush of air. "But, it's so big. Look at it. It's the size of my fist. This isn't possible."

Placing her hand on her stomach again, Mirabella pulsed deeper. When she started to shake uncontrollably, Damien panicked further. He took her by the shoulders in an attempt to stop her shaking.

"Mirabella, tell me, what is it?"

"The baby," she choked, "has no soul...it moves, but has no soul."

Damien sat back, his stomach roiling. He stood, and started to dress. "We must get you to the others. If anyone will know anything, it will be them."

Mirabella nodded, and numbly put her clothes on with Damien's help. Her fingers didn't seem to know what to do anymore with her mind overrun with much more important thoughts than dressing.