Chapter Twelve

The small shaft of sunlight played across Dania's face, gently waking her from morbid dreams of Lyla, with her gaping throat and Healers slack jaws coupled with vacant eyes that entreated her to help them. So much horror had transpired in the walls of this House, her mind couldn't process it all, so it replayed the images in her sleep. Rubbing her eyes, Dania sat up and paused for a moment before pushing herself off the bed. Facing the day without Lyla was going to be unbearable. As she made her way past Lyla's closed door, she winced, remembering the gruesome scene she had witnessed the day before. She half expected Lyla to open the door and smile at her, letting her know it had just been a dream. She reached a hand out to brush the wood of the door before shaking her head and continuing down the stairs to breakfast. She didn't have much of an appetite, but she didn't know what else to do.

Lucas was already seated at the table, pushing around eggs on his plate. His gaze never left the plate as Dania entered. Glancing around, Dania noticed a missing person. Ever since their strange encounter, Dania has watched for Taesha, afraid there might be a repeat performance. Not seeing her, she peeked in the kitchen and found only the hustle of the morning crew of servants, cooking for the houseful of Elders and their family. One of the older ladies stopped peeling potatoes and looked at Dania.

"Can I get you something, dear?"

"No, I was just wondering if Taesha was here," Dania replied, shaking her head.

"No dear, she hasn't come in yet. Probably found herself a boy to talk to. She was sweet on one of the stable boys. Maybe you'll find her out there."

Dania gave her a small smile. "Oh, that's alright. I'll let her be. Thank you."

The older woman returned the smile with a bigger one and went back to peeling potatoes as Dania returned to the dining room, and Lucas. Still not showing much interest in his breakfast, Dania wondered why he didn't just go do something else. Klellen had joined him at the table, his usual scowl even deeper than normal.

"Good morning, Klellen," Dania offered, and received a grunt in return. Seating herself in front of an empty plate, she was unprepared for what would happen next. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Klellen's face as he looked up, alarmed, and then settled into a wary smile.

"Good morning, darling. Hungry?"

Confused that he didn't seem to be talking to her, Dania glanced in the direction he was looking and stopped breathing when she saw Lyla was who he questioned. Lucas, finally looking up from his plate, watched as the color drained from Dania's face, and followed her gaze to the same conclusion. The clatter of his fork hitting his plate broke the frozen moment in Dania. It didn't do anything to help Lucas, who was staring at his mother, his mouth hanging open. The door to the kitchen opened and at the sight of Lyla standing in the opposite doorway, sent the servant into silent conniptions.

"Martha," Klellen's sharp tone stilled the woman's hands, and in turn, the rattling the dishes in her hands were making. She ducked her head and proceeded to serve those at the table. Lyla took in the scene and quietly sat at the opposite end of the table to Klellen. When Martha reached her, she hesitated until Lyla dipped her head in consent.

Dania couldn't help but notice the new changes in Lyla that matched Klellen's. The pale of her skin bordered on translucent and as Lyla and Klellen chewed their food, Dania could almost swear she could see it through their cheeks. Veins, that should have lent them both a flush of color, offered nothing more than a silvery sheen just under the surface. And the amount of food they both consumed would have been comical, if they hadn't just been through a grisly murder and a death defying comatose state. Klellen demanded serving after serving for both he and his wife, never allowing their plates to be fully emptied. Dania watched in disbelief at the expression of relief on Lyla's face that she never had to ask for more for herself. Silent understanding seemed to exist between the two as Klellen watched over his wife and ordered more with her returning to him a small smile of thanks.