Chapter Forty-Three

This pregnancy was measured in weeks, rather than months. During that time, Lucas played the role of the dutiful husband, fawning over Dania. Every time he tried to lay with her again, he was quickly rebuffed by Dania, to which he would act hurt, but then smile and say, 'It's probably best for the baby.'

Dania couldn't help but blanch at the word 'baby' being used to describe whatever was growing inside her. Never once did she feel it kick, or move. It just grew. Her enhanced Changed body seemed to work in tandem with the unborn creature. No matter how quickly her belly swelled, her body didn't object. No pains, no tiredness, nothing associated with pregnancy like she'd had with Quentin.

All too often, Quentin was completely ignored by Lucas. Quentin would toddle over to his father, expecting some kind of interaction, only to be shooed back to Dania, who scooped him up to hold him tight. Just once, this elicited attention from Lucas, who tried to tell her she shouldn't be holding the toddler in her condition. He thought to take the boy from her arms, but with a flash of angry, clear, green eyes and elongated teeth, he backed off. Being a deterrent to Lucas made her precious boy that much more of a comfort to Dania. Pulling him close, and feeling his little arms encircle her neck; his slightly warmer skin touching her cooler skin, she could almost pretend there was nothing outside of the two of them.

By the time she resembled a woman at the end of her pregnancy, there was still no sign of life. She'd tried pulsing it with Magiks, only to feel a void, as though nothing existed there. Sitting in the library reading, she absently rubbed her belly. Lucas, seated at the other end of the room, was quietly reading, although he spent more time staring at his wife, than he did actually reading the book in his hands. A shot of euphoria shot up Dania's spine, tingling and electrifying every nerve from her tailbone to the back of her skull. Gasping, she turned to Lucas, who'd leapt from his chair, and sunk to his knees beside Dania before she could finish her gasp.

"What is it? Is it time?"

Dania shook her head in bewilderment. "Things are different with this...child. I'm not certain, but I think it may be."

Silvery liquid, much like what Dania knew to be flowing through her Changed veins, gushed down her legs, pooling onto the floor. It was definitely time.

"Take me to my room, Lucas."

Lucas smoothly lifted Dania, and was setting her in her bed quicker than a normal human body would be able.

"I'll fetch the midwife," he said, as he turned to leave, but Dania took his elbow and pulled him back.

"Lucas, I don't think there is enough time. I feel the head crowning, already."

"What do I do?" he asked, his eyes wild with panic. The last birth had sounded so horrific from downstairs, and haunted him to this day. He turned again, as though to go get the midwife, but Dania cinched her fingers around his elbow, refusing to let go.

"You deliver it," she said, wryly.

If she weren't giving birth at the time, the look of panic that melted into sheer alarm, would have been amusing.

"It will be alright. It seems the baby is doing most of the work. Hurry, Lucas."

What little instruction Dania was able to give Lucas was almost unnecessary as the creature nearly delivered itself. With one slight push, it was in his hands, squirming. He cut the cord, and wiped the shiny fluid that had protected it throughout the pregnancy. Laying back, Dania felt invigorated, rather than tired when all was finished. Lucas wrapped the newborn in a blanket, and gazed down at it, confusion playing over his face.