Chapter Forty-Five

Inch by inch, Dania's senses trickled into awareness. The smells of green growing grass, and mossy wet of running fresh water blended with floral bouquets she had no names for. Taking in a deep breath, her mind plucked through the fragrances, sorting them.

Sensation joined smell as she felt warmth on her skin in the form of a slight breeze. Fingertips brushed gently through her hair. The comforting tug on her hair kept her relaxed as her ears began to pluck sounds from the atmosphere.

Birds chirped as they flapped their wings overhead. The water she'd smelled before gurgled nearby. And then there was the song. Her own heart, being sung by the most familiar voice. No longer sad, it sang a lilting tune. Dania forced her heavy eyelids to open, and looked into her own face. Gentle love radiated so openly from it. Contentment ruled its easy countenance. She'd never seen it so happy.

Dania returned the smile and slowly sat up. Gazing at her spirit, she saw a glow about it as it sang a song that made her want to stay in this place forever. Dania scrunched up her face and tried to think of where she was. Her mind was fuzzy and it was difficult to focus her thoughts to where they'd make sense. In hopes of clearing it, she shook her head, but decided she didn't really care.

The wood they sat in was surreal, green growing things everywhere, white fluffs floating languidly through the air, birds singing the sweetest tunes she'd never heard before. It struck her that she might be dead, and she could be in heaven. If that were so, she didn't want to spoil it by remembering.

Smiling again, Dania turned her back to her spirit, allowing it to play with her hair. She had no idea how much time passed, the spirit singing and playing with her hair, and Dania just sitting, enjoying. In the corners of her mind, a vague idea pricked at her serenity, trying to tell her something. Something was not right. It pushed and prodded until she understood she didn't belong here, and needed to get back somewhere, but she didn't know if she could...or wanted to.

"Spirit of my heart, where are we?" In the peace, she felt the need to whisper.

The spirit stopped singing to consider. "We are in a place of belonging and joining." Its voice was so musical, even when speaking. "It is a place of decision. Are you not happy here?"

Dania turned to see her spirit's concern, and smiled. "Of course, I'm happy here with you. But, I am missing something. Something is wrong. Spirit, what is it? What do I not remember?"

The spirit's face melted. "Please," it moaned. Dania clasped her spirit's hand to her cheek, kissing the palm.

"Spirit, I must know. There is something..."

A tear leaked out as the spirit's chin trembled. Nodding, the spirit moved its fingers slightly, until the tips met Dania's temple. With that touch, everything flooded back. The spirit's chin hit its chest as Dania sucked in a breath with knowledge.

"Am I dead?"

The spirit shook its head. "You are in a place of decision," it repeated.

"What is it I am to decide?" Before the spirit could reply, a familiar voice behind Dania interrupted.

"If you are to rejoin with it, or move onto another place."

Dania turned toward the voice. "Lyla?"

"No, child." Lyla's eyes flooded black. "I have come to offer you a decision. Your body lies as though dead in your bed. You linger in the space betwixt life and death. Your Changed essence is unable to repair the damage done, and you will eventually die. It will take a very long time, but it will happen.