Chapter Twenty-Two

It was six months after Damien left that Grandmother heard her name as she gathered herbs.

"Grandmother..."

Little light made its way through the foliage, and even less in the afternoon. Peering around, Grandmother spied a figure in the deep shadows behind her. Squinting, she couldn't quite make out who it was and readied herself for battle, her eyes sparking to life.

"Who are you? What is it you want?"

A long moment passed before the figure took a step forward, not quite exposing himself to the limited sunlight.

"It's me...Damien."

Even more on her guard, she frowned. "Do you come as a friend...or enemy?"

He took another step forward, still not fully showing himself.

"I come to you as a broken Elder needing your help. Please...you must help me. I-I cannot live this way." Finally stepping fully into the light, Damien revealed himself. His odd eyes stayed as mirrored as ever, and his hair the same raven black as before, but the pale skin and pain surrounding those eyes stood in place of the easy, charming smile. Falling to his knees, he hung his head in shame.

"Grandmother," he choked on his words, "I am a monster. I have done...deplorable things." His shoulders drooped even further. "I have drunk blood and ended lives." Collapsing further, the palms of his hands rested on the ground. "I cannot take it anymore. Help me, please," he begged. "I promise I will not stay with the Healers; I will run as soon as you finish with me." He raised his head, his eyes imploring. "I will not endanger the Healers. I will lead them away. They'll hunt for me elsewhere."

Unable to resist him, Grandmother dropped her basket and cradled Damien, stroking his hair. He clung to her, sobs racking his body as it had once before. "Please, release me from this torture, please." Over and over he begged with just a single word, 'please' as Grandmother rocked him.

"Damien, my Damien. You poor child." Tears of her own pricked her eyes. She had seen much in the way of pain, but this boy was special to her. "They have harmed you beyond reckoning," she crooned through his sobs. "Shh, child, we will go and collect Mirabella and the others and see if there is anything we can do."

Damien jerked out of her arms, his eyes wild. "No! I don't want Mirabella to see me. Not like this. She must never know I'm here."

Grandmother frowned into his eyes a moment then nodded, kissing him on the forehead. Damien sagged against her in relief. When he was able to collect himself, Damien helped Grandmother gather her fallen herbs and together they trekked to another Healer's hut. So as not to worry Mirabella, Grandmother opened her emotions enough to allow her to know she was fine. She could feel the question in Mirabella's mind, but she closed herself with a message of safety before Mirabella divined what else was in Grandmother's mind.

As the other Healers joined them, they paused in the doorway, startled at the sight of a Changed One, but a quick look at his mirrored eyes gave them all the introduction they needed. They had all felt the pledge he and Mirabella took months ago and knew the price he paid to keep them safe. Their startled expressions quickly turned to respect.

When all but Mirabella were sitting around the walls of the hut, the Healers meditated, searching for a solution to the problem of the Elder who sat before them. Hours passed, but Damien waited in patience. If anyone could help him, they could and he had as much respect for them as they for him. Misery had been his constant companion for months. For the first time since his Change, he found a small relief in the Healers' meditative song. He marveled in the weaving notes tucked into strands of Magiks circling around them. Green haze plucked at him, curious, then sighed, returning to the question at hand.