Chapter Seventeen

"You betrayed me! We had an agreement!" It was far too late to save him. Dania could only stand and watch as the Elders, frenzied with blood lust, emptied her love's body of his essence. Between blinks, Klellen was standing on the other side of the throng, and then towering over Dania.

"You said you would spare him so long as I covenanted to your son," she cried.

"My child, you will find in life, that making deals with demons will only give you heartache." Klellen's sharp, steely eyes gazed upon her; watching, waiting.

"Is that what you are? A demon?" At the moment, Dania's fear of Klellen was far forgotten, and she held his gaze without flinching. Klellen's eyes narrowed at her audacity.

"We all have our faults," he answered, as he turned toward the House. The sight of Caleb's limp body, looking so fragile when he had been so strong, ripped away any hatred Dania planned on firing at Klellen's retreating backside. The Elders had their fill and dropped him, his head hitting the stone with a thunk. Though not a stranger to death, Dania could only stare at the pale, lifeless body as the Elders followed after Klellen.

"I will stay with him tonight." She whispered, but Klellen easily heard her. He paused and turned a little, knowing Dania's hearing was not so keen.

"I would advise against that."

"Nevertheless, I will," she answered, her voice laced with stronger steel.

"Then, might I suggest you vacate his quarters before the rise of the sun?"

Dania dipped her head in agreement. "So be it."

~ ~ ~

Plague watched as a sleeping Dania tossed and turned on a makeshift pallet, and Caleb's body lay on his new bed where the Elders left him. It was hours before sun rise, when the essence left to him by the saliva of those who fed on him, would waken him. Since being trapped in this world, on this plane, Plague had lost much of Its patience and good humor.

Awake.

Caleb's body responded to the command, bending to a sitting position. Its black eyes scanned the room, lighting upon Dania's sleeping form. Plague, one with the body's thoughts, pushed it to rise and follow its curiosity. Tweaking its hearing, just a touch, the body couldn't help but hear Dania's heartbeat pulsing through her veins. Though awakened early, some of the previous owner was already beginning to waken. The heartbeat thrummed through its ears as emotions pricked its subconscious. She smelled so enticing, her blood singing to it, calling to it. Blood mixed with emotion knew it couldn't live without this girl, the so-lovely girl. Green eyes tickled the edges of the mind that was quickly becoming less it and more him.

Touch.

Tweaking once again, Plague watched as the boy reached out a cold hand to caress Dania's cheek. Once, twice, the icy fingertips traced the jaw of the sleeping girl before real green eyes opened to see a very curious Caleb standing over her. He paused, inches from her face.

Dania's breath was so shallow, it was almost imperceptible. Her wide eyes betrayed the fear she was feeling, and she didn't dare move for fear it would set Caleb off. Plague could feel more of Caleb's mind returning. Not quite finished with the pair, Plague tweaked one last time.

Breeeeaaatheee....

Caleb's nose caught an intense whiff of Dania's scent. Hunger twisted his gut, elongating his canines to razor sharp daggers. With the speed of the Changed Ones, he pulled her to him, her back to his chest, and poised his teeth over her neck vein. No longer afraid to breathe, Dania gasped for air, afraid she might lose consciousness. Resigned, she squeezed her eyes shut and rested her head on his shoulder, waiting for the shredding teeth.