Chapter Thirty-Five

Leaves and underbrush slapped Mirabella all over, unnoticed, as she ran. They hadn't been far from Grandmother's hut, but a thought to Grandmother sent her in another direction. When Mirabella and Damien crashed into the clearing where Evann and Grandmother were training Dania, all three were already standing, waiting.

"What? What is it?" Grandmother exclaimed as Mirabella landed in her outstretched arms, both collapsing to the ground. Mirabella shook her head, unable to catch her breath, and clasped Grandmother's hand. Without a word, she put Grandmother's palm on her stomach. Her brow furrowed, Grandmother glanced at Damien before returning her attention to Mirabella. Magiks pulsed into her granddaughter, searching. The longer Grandmother took pulsing, the higher Mirabella's hope spiked until her hand settled on Mirabella's stomach and Grandmother hung her head.

"This is a child of two worlds. He will not survive."

"Two worlds?" Mirabella choked. "What do you mean?"

"You carry a child that is yours." Grandmother wiped away tears rolling down Mirabella's cheek. "But not yet. He cannot be here."

Dania kneeled before Mirabella, who reached out a hand to touch her swollen belly. The baby inside slowly pushed against it.

"I'm so sorry," Dania whispered.

Mirabella felt the little hand under hers as it moved around, testing how far her hand stretched. Pulsing trace amounts of Magiks in, she felt answering Magiks in return.

"I knew there were risks," she said, softly. "How long?"

Grandmother studied Mirabella's interaction with the child inside. "Not long. He will not see full term. He will grow quickly, and be born without breath." She paused. "Two months, maybe three. For now, the body lives, but with no soul..." her voice trailed off.

Mirabella nodded, never having removed her hand or her eyes from Dania's belly. "Grandmother, she needs to be awakened. This child has Magiks, and needs his mother to awaken him."

"Mirabella..." Damien began, his voice weak. Mirabella looked up at him, giving him a slight smile.

"I'm tired, Damien."

Damien knelt next to Mirabella, who wrapped her arms around her husband's neck, allowing him to easily lift her. Together, with Grandmother, they went back to Grandmother's hut.

Left alone with Evann, Dania waited. Hugging her stomach, Dania allowed a few tears to escape.

"Are you alright?"

Glancing at Evann, Dania nodded.

"Pregnant women...they can get a little...well, you know. Crazy. Especially when there's something...emotional," Evan stammered.

Dania smiled at his obvious discomfort. "No, I'm alright. I won't do anything...crazy. I don't think. Though, the day is still young." Dania giggled at the mock frightened look Evann gave her.

"A pregnant, Changed, Healer. Heavens above, help us all."

"If we can withstand you, we can withstand anything," Grandmother quipped as she returned to the clearing.

"How is she?" Dania asked.

"She is as well as to be expected." Grandmother sighed. "They are better off alone in each other's arms than they would be anywhere else. We will leave them be, and continue our lessons. Mirabella is right, the sooner you can awaken, the better."

Dania resumed the sitting position she'd had before Mirabella sent her distress call. Closing her eyes, she strained to find the 'white noise' of her mind, where thoughts stopped, and only feeling began. Standing behind her, Grandmother placed her hands on Dania's head. Images a Healer mother would send her unborn child flooded her mind. Flowers, plants, trees, rain, sunlight, thunderstorms, and many other things of nature. Dania could smell, and feel each image as though she were truly living it.