Chapter Twenty-Nine

"I should be so disgusted with myself, but yet, I can't," Dania rattled as she and Mirabella made their way back to her quarters. "The blood, Mirabella...it's...it's amazing! I've never felt anything so...so...Oh! I don't have words for it!"

"Monstrous?" Mirabella offered. Dania stopped in her tracks to look at Mirabella.

"I didn't ask for this."

Mirabella sighed. "I know. I can't even begin to imagine what this like for you." Shrugging, she lowered her eyes. "I'm sorry, I'll try to keep in mind this is all new to you." She turned to keep walking to Dania's quarters, a slightly more sober Dania following.

"Here, you need to rest," Mirabella told Dania as they entered her room.

"I don't think I'll ever rest again!" Dania returned.

"Just...try. For the baby." Mirabella followed Dania to her bed and after Dania's head lay on her pillow, Mirabella brushed her fingers across Dania's forehead. "Sleep," she whispered. Dania's eyes closed and Mirabella knew she would stay that way for the rest of the night.

Exiting Dania's room, Mirabella wondered where to start to find Damien. She had to see him again. She'd kept her mind on Dania as much as possible in the ceremony, but now, her mind only thought of him. Frustration crept up on her as she navigated the many long halls of the grotesque mountain castle. Not a single speck of green offered any warmth as she traversed the passageways.

A light bobbed ahead, just around the corner, and anticipating an Elder, she pushed her back to the wall with her head lowered as a servant would. A man, not an Elder, passed by her. Lifting her head to continue her trek, she almost missed what he said to her.

"Come to finally collect one of your own?"

Snapping her head around, Mirabella looked closer at the man. "What did you say?" The man's back was slightly hunched and thin. The only real light in the passageway came from the lantern he held. Breeches covered his slim legs to his bony ankles. He turned his head so that his chin was nearly on his shoulder, a small smile playing on the corner of his mouth.

"It's about time, Healer," his gravelly voice uttered.

Mirabella took a step back, her heart beating against her chest. "H-how...?"

The man turned his shoulders as his head turned further. A broader smile stretched across his lean face, not quite reaching deep blackened eyes. The same eyes Lyla had trapped her with at the lottery. Looking away, Mirabella glared at the wall.

"Plague."

The man let loose a cackle, taking the short steps closer to stand mere inches from Mirabella. Reaching out a pale, bony hand, he snatched her chin, forcing her to look at him.

"You waited a very long time, Healer. What took you so long?" His smile had been replaced with a glare of his own. Knowing who It was, Mirabella was better prepared to deflect the power It had shown at the lottery. She stared Its accusing glare down.

"We didn't know," she gritted through clenched teeth. "What are you doing here? Why do you take the form of this old man?"

Curling Its borrowed lip, It roughly released Mirabella's face in disgust. "I asked you questions first, little Healer. You've allowed that child to grow up in this tomb. Your people knew. Your eldest knew. Your mother knew," It spat back.

"I don't believe you," she returned. "Why does she exist?"

"That is not for you to know, little Healer," It said as It ran a sharp nail down Mirabella's cheek. "Your people should do better to protect their own. Then, possibly, neither of us would be here." It pushed her, hard, against the wall, knocking the back of her head. Anger flared up inside Mirabella until she saw the old man's clueless face. Plague was gone.