Chapter Thirteen

Klellen stormed to his office on the lower floor of the House. Alone, he pushed his wife's uncharacteristic behavior out of his mind and concentrated on how he was going to feed a group, fourteen strong, of Changed Ones. Klellen had fed on his wife, Lyla on Taesha -Klellen shuddered at the memory- and the remaining Elders had fed on one poor soul Klellen hoped wouldn't be missed. From this point on, he ordered them to feed upon animals in the cover of night, but he knew that would only satiate them for a limited time.

Travelers were unheard of...save the one...Shaking his head, Klellen pulled his thoughts away from her. Since her time, no one had travelled through. No one travelled out either; and it never occurred to anyone to ask why. The mists that shrouded the surrounding sea coast might have been a reason, had anyone thought to contemplate it. But that wonderment, along with why no one fished or went out into sea, never crossed anyone's mind.

What did pester Klellen was the hunger beginning to gnaw at him. He hadn't kept much of what he took from his wife, and he would need to feed soon. Not long after, the others would have to follow suit.

The solution presented itself days later in the form of a disgruntled wife. Klellen set up the large dining area as a place for mortals to air their grievances. Since the purging of the plague, the Elders' opinions became much more trustworthy to the mortals. Seated in a chair, that almost resembled a throne, Klellen watched as the nag pulled a distraught, crumpled man by the ear, only releasing him when she huffed all the way to Klellen's feet. Glancing around at the Elders lining the walls, Klellen mentally rolled his eyes at the ridiculous woman. The man in question was on the floor at her side, like a forlorn dog to be punished by whipping. Before Klellen could give permission, the woman launched into her tirade.

"I beg o'you, m'lord, my man's unfaithful for t' las' time. I deman' justice! He'a ruin'd m' family. We gots no honor due to his actions," she shrieked out, jabbing her thumb at the man for emphasis. The shrillness of her voice set Klellen's nerves on edge.

"What is it you would have me do?" The monumental restraint Klellen used would have caused blood to pound through his body and slam his head, if he still had any. All he could feel was pity for the husband. He could see why the man might have looked elsewhere for comfort.

"'E mus' suffuh the wors' of the wors' for my humiliation!" Spittle landed on the rough skinned chin she jutted out as though expecting a fight, and more than willing to oblige. The man at her side cringed, risking a glance up at Klellen. A hand clasped Klellen's shoulder and he looked up to find Lyla. Leaning close to his ear, she whispered to him, "We may have a solution for our problem of feedings, husband." She gestured with the top of her head toward the fuming, red faced woman. "Consider it."

Returning to the woman, realization dawned on Klellen. He leaned forward, taking in the snarling woman and the cowering man. It was a toss up as to which was worse for their society. Sitting back, he turned to Lyla.

"Which? They are both...distressful."

"The wife, of course. I know this man to be an artisan. He may not be faithful to his wife, but he is to his work. She causes only heartache. Take him into your custody for his work and do away with her." Lyla straightened, her face impassive and almost disinterested.

Raising an eyebrow, Kellen responded, "Excellent." Louder, toward the misfit couple, "Lady, for your accusations, we are unable to comply with punishment." He gestured toward Lyla. "It has come to our attentions that you have also been unfaithful. And for the crime of accusing another of your own crime, you shall be sentenced to death." Klellen waved a hand, signaling to the Elders lining the walls.

"What?" she screeched. The Elders took hold of her arms and drug her from the room. Her voice could be heard for some time before the black door leading to the cavern, where they would feed later, closed. The man on the floor perked up as his wife's punishment was meted out, but flinched when he saw Klellen watching him.