Chapter Sixteen

Emotions ran high as the last shards of sunlight disappeared behind the mountains and trees, signaling it was almost time to meet Caleb. While she waited, she rehearsed what she would say, over and over again. Nothing seemed appropriate. How does one tell the man they love there is no future for them? How does one cause harm to the man they love more than anyone they have ever known? No, nothing was quite right. As much as Dania would have liked, the hours did not creep by, rather, they sped by, as though eager to watch Dania wrest Caleb's heart, still beating, from his chest and crush it.

In the moonlight, the gardens that were so vivid in sunlight, washed out to cooler versions of themselves. The dew covered grass would normally take her mind to greener places that invigorated her, but tonight, went unnoticed as her mind searched for better words. Their bench was stark in the dim lighting and cold to the touch. Dania settled in anyway, her mind a muddy mess. So deep in thought, was she, that she missed the cues of an approaching person. Not until a hand lightly touched her shoulder, startling her, did her mind release her from its relentless hunt.

She instantly regretted looking up and meeting his eyes. Seeing his smile. Reaching out for his embrace. She cursed herself for finding pleasure in his smell, the warmth of his arms around her, his hair brushing her cheek. She wished there was another way. If only she didn't have to see his face. Or hear his voice. Or break his heart. Tears threatened to out her and she pulled back before they could win. Caleb's sweet face looked at her, question and concern emanating from him.

"What? What is it, Dania? Why are you so upset?"

The breath she inhaled was supposed to help calm her. It didn't. "Caleb..." she began. Wide brown eyes framed by long eyelashes watched her as she struggled with her words.

"Caleb," she tried again, "We cannot go on like this."

A broad smile cut into his face. Like a puppy that didn't know it had been whipped, Caleb lit up with happiness. "Yes, you are absolutely right. I am so glad to hear it. I will speak with Klellen on the morrow and ask him for your hand. We have much to plan."

Despair stabbed at Dania's soul, threatening to destroy the body that housed it. Caleb had started to list off those plans they needed to address, each idea pushing the dagger an inch deeper into her heart until the blackmailing tears won.

"Caleb," Dania choked, "I mean that we cannot be together."

Caleb's broad smile diminished into a half smile. "What do you mean?" He paused a moment, his smile curving into dangerous downward tilt. "Is it Lucas? Has he done something? Has he threatened you?" Fists balled in anger pounded his knees as he prepared to charge into the House and lay the gauntlet at Lucas' feet. Dania could only shake her head.

"Surely, you don't love him?"

"No! I will never love anyone as I love you," her voice caught on a sob.

The anger melted away to determination, then. "Let's run away together. We'll find the Healers and learn how to live in the forest."

"We cannot, Caleb, they will find us."

Incredulous, Caleb laughed. "They haven't found the Healers, have they? They will not find us. Come, I'll take you tonight." Taking her hand, he made to pull her from her seat and take her into the night.

"No, please," she pleaded, pulling against him. Caleb sat again, stroking her tear soaked cheek.

"We don't need to fear the Elders, my love."

"Yes, we do. They are very dangerous men."

"Dangerous?" he scoffed. "Those powerless gits? The Healers out do them with just their smallest finger!" He chuckled at the silliness of it, while Dania's stomach chewed through the fear filling it. Desperately, she looked for the right words, in her mind, in the garden, somewhere, anywhere. She had to make him leave. In her search, her eyes came to a rest upon an outline of Klellen, who had stepped from the shadows just enough for her to barely see him. As her eyes scanned the area, one by one, Elders stepped forward, out of the shadows.

Caleb stopped his ranting about weak Elders and followed Dania's gaze. He had not seen the Elders up close before, although rumors abounded. Not normal, they said, not human anymore. Upon seeing Elders for himself, those rumors didn't seem quite so silly anymore.

Never before had Caleb felt what he now felt. Each Elder inspected him with a hunger that went well beyond a normal scope. With all eyes trained on him, he suddenly understood what it felt like to be prey. He understood why they eyes of prey turned wild as they were hunted and killed as his own eyes were wild with fear. Tearing his gaze away from the Elders, he sought out Dania who was silently pleading with him. The fear faded enough for courage to replace it.

Stepping away from Dania, he addressed Klellen as he said he would. Had he been a weaker boy, the grip Dania had on his fingers would have crushed them.

"High Elder Klellen, I would speak with you. I have something to ask of you and would hope that you would grant me audience." Caleb took an involuntary half step back as the smile on Klellen's face revealed sharp teeth. Courage wavering, he continued, "I would beg of you to allow me to take the hand of your daughter, Dania, in covenant." It was customary, at this point, to bend to one knee, but the leers from the Elders kept him on his feet.

Klellen stepped from the shadows, revealing his full stature. The Elders followed suit, all of them a full head taller than Caleb. Seeing them in the full moonlight, Caleb understood why Dania was so frightened. They truly weren't human. The stares from the Elders bore into him from every direction.

"Child of our humble village," Klellen began, "Caleb, is it?" Without pausing for an answer, he continued, "There is but one way to grant you your request."

Startled, yet encouraged, Caleb kept his eyes fixed on Klellen and Klellen alone. "How is this, sir?" His voice quivered, but still worked. The smile that replaced the old smile on Klellen's face forced Caleb's faltering courage to flee.

"Dear boy, you must join us. Become one of us." Klellen gestured to the Elders surrounding them. Caleb had seen Klellen's sharp teeth, but when they all pulled their lips back, he could see they were not just a little sharp, they were daggers and they all had them. Risking looking away, he jerked his head toward Dania to see if she shared this attribute with them. To his relief, she did not.

"Please, Caleb, go," she begged. "Please?"

The fear in her eyes, the pleading in her voice, she should never feel these things. There was only one way to protect her. Swallowing hard, Caleb returned his gaze to Klellen. In slight jerking motions, he nodded. He would join them. He flinched as Dania moaned.

With a small nod from Klellen, two Elders separated from the circle to hold Dania and prevent her from interrupting. Caleb gave Dania a weak smile and stroked her cheek.

"I love you, Dania. With all that I am. Soon, this will be over with, and we will be together."

Tears built upon tears as Dania violently shook her head. "No, no no, please, Caleb, no. Don't do this for me," she moaned. "Please."

Two more Elders stepped from the circle. One held Caleb's head to the side as the other stood next to him, waiting.

"Oh Caleb," Klellen called to him. "I regret to inform you that, as of this morning, Dania has become officially betrothed to my son, Lucas, and will not be able to covenant with you in any future, Changed or no."

The Elder standing to the side sunk his teeth into the soft skin of Caleb's neck as Dania screamed until he saw no more.