Chapter Thirty

Songs of blood haunted Dania's dreams. Weaving in and out through her unconscious mind, her Changed senses fluctuated in excitement. Gentle lips caressing her own woke her from these dreams. Groggy and confused, Dania halfway matched Lucas' broad grin. The events of the night before crashed into the front of Dania's mind. Her half smile turned to a frown.

"Husband, what is it you want?" she asked. Her stern, cross voice didn't deter Lucas. His grin only broadened.

"I want my wife to come share with me something so wonderful that words can scarce describe it." He held his hand out to her as she sat up, which she waved away.

"I cannot think of anything I could share with you that could possibly be so wonderful."

"Dania," he sighed as he sat down on the side of her bed, "I know we haven't been the closest of mates. But now, things have changed. We have Changed." He gestured toward her belly. "You carry my child. We share the same power and glory of the Change. We are as one!" He clasped her hands in his. "I only want to bond closer to you, and be a better husband. Please...come with me?" Lucas' grin melted into a near pout as he pled with her. The plea in his voice was so sincere, Dania considered his request.

"Where do you want to take me?"

The grin sprang back to life, as though it'd never left. "To my quarters."

"Lucas, I'm very pregnant. I don't think..."

Laughing, Lucas shook his head. "No, no, you misunderstand. While I would love for you to be with me in my bed, this has nothing to do with that." He stood, holding his hand out to her again. Hesitantly, she took it, allowing him to lead her down the hall to his quarters. Several times he glanced back at her, a bright smile on his face, to which she returned weak, uncertain smiles.

At Lucas' door, he turned to her, looking intently into her eyes, and clasped her hands in his. "I have always loved you. Since we were children and I didn't know what love was."

Dania's eyes slid to the floor as she blushed. "Lucas..."

"Shh..." He released her hand to tip her head up so she was making eye contact with him again. "Let me have this moment." Leaning down, he touched his lips to hers, tenderly kissing her in a way he'd never done before. Dania was relieved it was a brief touch, as she always found it difficult to feign liking for him, and this time was no different. He opened his door, and led her in. Glancing again at Lucas, she stepped in at his encouragement.

In the middle of the room, tied to a high backed chair, was the Chosen One who had taken her life. Crying profusely, and whimpering through the gag in his mouth, when he saw Dania enter the room, he began violently wriggling as much as his bonds would allow. His wild eyes darted from Dania to her husband in horror. Taking her eyes off the man, she turned an accusing glare to Lucas.

"Husband, why have you brought me to him? I thought him already dead."

"No, Wife," Lucas answered, nearly all his teeth visible in the enormous grin he held. "He has been reserved. At first, I was not to join my father and his Chosen to be Changed, as they were. I was going to have to wait, possibly till the day I died naturally. But this man," he gestured to the bound man as though he had done Lucas a great favor, "because of his rash actions, caused it to be possible for, not only me to be Changed, but my beloved wife as well." He returned to Dania, clasping her hands. "It was such a beautiful thing. I could not allow him to be given to just anyone. This one is special. He is the reason we are so bonded, now." He motioned for her to go to the man. "Come, Wife, let us partake in this together, and be as one, forever."

The man's whimpering increased to high pitched shrieks, muffled by the gag. Dania could only blink in amazement at her husband. She shook her head as she backed out of the room. Lucas tightened his hold on the one hand he still had control over.