Chapter Nine

Taesha's hands steadied the tray she carried up the stairs. The Lady was late for breakfast, but she frequently was these days. Often, she asked to take meals in her bedroom. Last night's drama with the Master collapsing still rattled her mind. It wasn't so long ago she lost her own family and the Elders became her new home. Balancing the tray in one hand and an elbow, she knocked on the door to the Master suite. After waiting a moment, she adjusted the tray, the dishes clinking quietly together, and knocked again. She was very careful not to drop the tray as the dishes were very beautiful and delicate. Taesha took personal pride in making the most attractive arrangement she could for the kind Lady.

Understanding that the Lady had held vigil through the night, Taesha decided to slip in and leave the tray for when she awoke. Tray adjusted and secure, Taesha reached out and turned the knob. The horror that met her made concern for the tray obsolete.

Still in her room after waking, Dania heard the screams that seemed to be never ending. She bolted to her door to find the same servant who had chilled her the night before, standing in front of Lyla's door, a shattered tray of dishes and breakfast at her feet. Taking several steps at a time, a male servant joined Taesha. A brief look through the door pulled a retch from him. He pulled a screaming Taesha from the door and down the stairs.

Curiosity won out as Dania wondered what could possibly create that kind of response. She knew Klellen's body was in there and Lyla was with him. What was so concerning about that? Sneaking around the corner, she laid on a sight that was the stuff of nightmares. Lyla's neck had been opened by what looked like a wild animal and left her head to hang at an unnatural angle over the back of the chair she was draped over. Normally warm, brown eyes, were clouded over, her jaw slack.

Dania crept forward, something inside stirring. She felt no fear as she approached the carnage. When she was close enough to fully inspect the wound, she stopped. Lyla's normally lightly colored skin was completely lacking in any pigment. Frowning, Dania swept her gaze around the room. Nowhere was there blood. Not even the smallest trace. None on the clothes, bed, nothing. How could anything make that large of a hole on the neck and not leave even the tiniest drop of blood? And where was Klellen's body?

The voice inside urged Dania to raise her hand over the grisly wound. As she hovered over Lyla's neck, Dania's palm tingled. Energy flowed from her palm to the body. Feeling her way, she wasn't certain what she was doing or looking for, but whatever it was, she found it. There was something wrong. The life was not completely gone from this body. Residue of darkness was residing in the body. Shuddering in disgust, Dania pulled away. Out of the corner of her eye, she thought she saw movement, but when she swung her head around, there was nothing.

The loud bang of the door connecting to the wall startled her. A different servant rushed into the room, followed by others she didn't recognize. The servant cast her unceremoniously to the side, and gritting his teeth, he reached down to lift the body, motioning for the other to follow suit. They placed Lyla in the bed and shooed Dania out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

Leaning against the stone wall, Dania tried to catch her breath. Looking at her hand as though it might attack her, Dania asked herself what she had just done. How did she know such things about Lyla's body? Unsure of what else to do, she balled her hand into a fist and jammed it under her other arm and headed downstairs.

In the dining room, Lucas sat, quietly picking at his plate. He didn't even bother to look up at Dania and gift her with his usual leer as she seated herself across from him. Servants bustled back and forth from the kitchen, loading the table with food. With barely lowered voices they hissed back and forth at each other about the missing Master and dead Lady. Those in the kitchen didn't bother to lower their voices at all.