Chapter Thirty-Seven

As Dania and her newborn son slept in her bed, Mirabella received a visit from a messenger requesting she meet with Klellen. Quietly closing the door behind her, she followed the messenger down the stairs to Klellen's dimly lit office. Keeping with her ruse of being a simple peasant, she kept her eyes low as she curtseyed to him. Klellen sat at his desk, seemingly not noticing her entrance. Folding her hands, Mirabella waited for him, eyes down cast, to speak first. He didn't make her wait long. The scratching of quill to paper stopped, and he pushed his chair back. Agonizingly slow, Klellen approached, stopping a few feet away from her.

"The baby, and my daughter, are they well?"

"Yes, M'Lord, they are well."

"There was an unholy amount of screaming. Were there complications?"

"The child was difficult, but the complications were overcome. The Change has helped to heal Lady Dania's body quickly."

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Klellen's thoughtful nod.

"Indeed, she is fortunate to have been Changed partially through her pregnancy."

Mirabella didn't respond.

"And she was doubly fortunate to have a Healer on hand."

Mirabella only had time to snap her eyes up before Klellen's hand clamped on her throat. The force of his body moving toward her so quickly slammed her body into the bookcase behind her. She clutched his wrist, trying to pull his hand from her voice box to allow air passage. He was far too strong.

"Did you really think you could hide from me in my own home?" he hissed at her.

"N-no M'Lord. I only hoped to..." her voice choked off as what little air she had to work with ran out as he pressed even harder.

"What, stop me? Destroy me? You Healers, with your high and mighty way, you think anything not done your way is wrong." He backed off her throat just far enough for Mirabella to respond.

"Is it not wrong to take another's life?" she gasped. "Especially for personal gain?" Air was becoming more precious as he increased pressure again.

"What do you know of gain, Healer?" he spat. "I have not gained. I sacrificed everything for this village. All that I am is for those outside these walls. To save them!"

"But who will save them from you?" Mirabella sputtered. Klellen didn't respond for a moment, and Mirabella spared a thought for how the castle would be less two clucking hens once Dania found out about this. She just hoped she was alive to tell her. Klellen's eyes narrowed as he scrutinized Mirabella.

"Who is he?"

"Huh?"

"The Elder who has betrayed me. Is he a Changed One or a rogue?"

"I don't know what..." Klellen cut her off with a finger to her lips.

"Healers only covenant with Elders. They will only have full blooded children of Magik. Who is your mate?" he hissed, easing the pressure on her neck so she could answer. Looking up into the eyes of the High Elder Klellen, Mirabella should have felt fear. And she did, but not for herself. Her child was dead, and she came into the House of the Elders with full knowledge she may not make it out alive. But her husband...

"I will never tell you!" she yelled, spitting in his face. The blue of Klellen's eyes could have been beautiful, were they not looking at Mirabella with utter hatred. She could see minute flecks of gold swimming in a pool of blue she'd seen in cloudless skies countless times. The pools slowly blinked once as he released her neck. She resisted the powerful urge to cough as air rushed in, once again plentiful.