Chapter Ten: Lawrence

~~~Lauren~~~

After my little bar adventure with Barney the other night turned out to be a bust, I had headed home expecting the night to be a failure. Just as I was getting to my front door, I ran into Lawrence.

Lawrence is the guy that lives next door to me. He's twenty-six,  and he's a cop. Not to mention very cute, I might add. We started talking out there in the hallway, and we're going to dinner tonight.

 We started talking out there in the hallway, and we're going to dinner tonight

"So, what do you do?" He asked, taking a sip of his wine. I cringed slightly at the question.

"I'm kind of between jobs at the moment." I replied, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. "My dad put me through law school, until half way through my second year, I realized I hated it."

"So you just quit? What did you Dad have to say about that?"

"He um...he hasn't talked to me since and practically disowned me." He watched me warily, waiting for me to say I was kidding. "I wish I could say that was a joke."

"Oh, I...I'm so sorry. That's terrible." I shrugged.

"It's alright. I've got some pretty great friends to keep me company so, it all works out. But enough about me. How is Law enforcement?"

"Not at all like they portray it on TV, believe me." I laughed. "They make it look so action packed, and it can be, for most. But for me, I'm still fairly new in the department, so they've got me as a paperwork monkey."

"Ooh...that sucks." I said, taking a sip of wine.

"Nah...I just make a game out of it. It takes a while so I have a pretty steady build-up. I like to keep a record of how many times the captain references me to female genitalia." I laughed. "It's more fun then you think."

"Oh, you're funny." I told him. "That's a pretty important quality in a guy nowadays."

"As is an attractive face and thoroughly chiseled abs...should I go?" I laughed again. "What do you say we go for a walk around the city?"

"I don't know...that's pretty dangerous here in the big apple...." I said.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you. I am an officer of the law."

"I don't know. Paperwork monkey...you can give the burglars a bunch of paper cuts?"

"Ha ha ha, hilarious. You're hysterical, really." The bill came and we both reached for it. "Please, allow me."

"You know, I never understand that on dates." I said. "Why do we have to do the whole check song-and-dance. We both ate food, why don't we just go 50-50?"  He stopped.

"That...that actually makes a lot of sense. I mean, I'm still gonna pay for it just the same, but, I'll keep that in mind for next time." He placed the money in the bill and we stood up, grabbing our coats.

"You so confident there'll be a next time?" I asked.

"The night is still young. I still have a few good hours left to prove myself." I smiled. "Shall we?" He offered me his arm.

"We shall. You know, actually, I had an idea."

"What's that?" He asked.

"I know it's only a first date, but you should really meet my friends. They're great." he nodded.

"I'm up for that. Where are we headed."

"McLaren's?"

"Which one?"

"West side?" He nodded.

"Alright, sounds like a plan. Let's go."

~~~Barney~~~

I sat at our usual table with the others, but I couldn't concentrate. I hadn't seen or heard from Lauren all day. I kept checking my phone and watching the door.

"Barney...are you ok?" Robin asked.  I snapped out of my anxious trance.

"Psh. What? Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

"You've been staring at the door for the past twenty minutes." Lily added. I shook my head.

"Nah. The bar is just kind of missing the usual hot chicks, you know? These girls are all sixes at best."

"Dude, a girls college volleyball team have been in here since before we showed up. Are you sure you're ok?" Marshall was skeptical. Ted sat at the other end of the table, sending me looks. I hadn't told anyone about Lauren. I was going to take Ted's advice, so there was really no need. The bell above the door dinged and I looked up to see her...hand-in-hand with a guy.

"Hey guys!" She greeted. "This is Lawrence."

"Hey." They all chorused.

"That's Marshall, his wife Lily, Ted, Robin, and this is Barney." She introduced.

"So, what brings you here, Lawrence?" Ted asked, watching me warily.

"We're  actually on a date, and Lauren thought it would be fun if I met you guys."

"Our first date, to be exact...and it's going really well so far." She smiled up at him.

"Yeah...yeah I think so."

"Join us, won't you?" Lily said, gesturing to the end of the table. Lawrence turned around, grabbing two chairs from the table behind them and setting them up. Lauren smiled excitedly at me as she sat down beside me, and I smiled back.

"I'll get the next round." I said.

"I'll help." Ted stood up, following me to the bar.

"Great advice, Ted. Really." 

"I'm sorry! I didn't know this would happen."

"Look at her! We really shouldn't be surprised." I sighed, running a hand through my hair. I looked back at them. Lawrence's hand was on her leg and she was animatedly talking to Lily.

"It's just a first date, Barney. Who knows if they'll even make it past tonight." I sighed.

"I hope you're right."