Chapter Seventeen: In This For Real

I sat on a bench, uncomfortably crammed between Barney  and some random drunk girl.

"No tomorrow!" Ted toasted.

"No tomorrow!" Everyone clinked their glasses, and I took a sip of my drink.

"I wonder what the grown ups are doing right now." Barney asked Ted, who laughed. I stood up, going to the bar.

"Can I get a water, Please?" I asked.

"Sure thing." The bartender handed me my water, and I started drinking it. Barney came up beside me.

"Lauren?!" I turned around and my eyes widened.

"No." I muttered.

"What? What's wrong?" Barney asked.

"You know when I told you that Ted wasn't the first guy to cheat on me?"

"Yeah."

"That's the first guy."

                                                  (Another Supernatural guy, I know

                                                  (Another Supernatural guy, I know. Shocking right?)

"Lauren,hey! Long time no see." Michael greeted, pushing through the crowd to meet us.

"Yeah...wonder why." His smile fell, slightly.

"I suppose I deserved that."

"You deserve more than that, but I'm feeling gracious tonight."

"You must be her boyfriend." He looked to Barney. I opened my mouth to deny it, but he beat me to it.

"Yes, I am." He wrapped an arm around my waist. "I would shake your hand, but..."

"How much did she tell you."

"Not much. Enough. What were you thinking, dude?" Barney chuckled, shaking his head.

"Honestly...I don't even know. You look good. Happy."

"I am. No thanks to you, that is." He nodded.

"I'll see you around."

"Don't count on it." He walked away, and I turned to Barney. "You've lied for me twice in one night. Thank you." He nodded.

"What happened with you two anyway?" I sighed.

"Not here. Would you be devastated if we head back to your place?" He shook his head, texting Ted as we walked out the door.

~~~

When we got to Barney's apartment, I kicked my shoes off, going back to his closet and grabbing one of his dress shirts, throwing it on. I walked back into the living room, and curled up on the couch.  I sighed.

"Are you sure you're ok to tell me this?" I nodded.

"Someone might as well know.  Well, before I start...the most important part is that he wasn't just my boyfriend. He was my fiancé." He raised his eyebrows.

"What?! You were engaged!?" He exclaimed.

"I was...and I was madly in love. I came home from a long day at school, just in need of some quality time with the man I love. When I got there, he had laid out a romantic scavenger hunt around the city. Ferry ride to the statue of liberty...street performers in the park...it was beautiful."

"But..." I nodded.

"I came home...the last stop...to candles, rose petals, slow music...and Michael with his secretary Carmen Santiago. He had refused to come clean about the affair, so she set this up so I would catch them in the act. She put in all that work to ruin our relationship...and my life." He rubbed a hand down his face, considering this.

"I want you to be my girlfriend." I scoffed, standing up.

"No, Barney! You are not going to step out of your comfort zone because you feel sorry for me! I won't let you."

"That's not why I want you to be my girlfriend." He chuckled.

"Then why do you?" He stood up, walking  over to me.

"Because unlike your idiot of a fiancé, I don't want to waste a second of the time I have with you.  When I go a day without talking to you, that day is just...no good." I smiled at him.

"You're sure about this?" He laughed.

"Yeah, I'm sure." 

"Aw, Barney...you big softie." I said, wrapping  my arms around his neck.

"Shut up."

"Make me." I stood on my toes, pressing my lips firmly to his. His hands found my waist, and I could feel their warmth through the thin white fabric of his shirt. It was official.

I am Barney Stinson's girlfriend.

~~~

"AW! Aw. Awwww! Awwwwwwww! AW!"

"Marshall, stop her, please." Barney requested, as we sat at the bar. We had just broken the news to the gang, and it broke Lily. Marshall placed a large hand over her mouth.

"Who would've though Barney would have a girlfriend." Robin asked.

"Not even Barney." I pointed out, causing him to smile and nod in agreement.

"Congratulations'." Ted said, raising his glass to us. 

"Thank you, Ted." I told him, taking a sip of my drink. A part of me was tempted to grab Barney's hand under the table, but I didn't want to weird him out. Instead, it was him who put a hand on my knee, rubbing the top of it with his thumb. He was actually doing this. He was in this for real.