Chapter Fifteen: East Side (Filler)

Barney loaned me a pair of pajamas that, all in all, I was surprised that he had, and I stayed the night at his place.  Nothing happened, don't worry.

"So, how long has this been going on?" I asked. I laid on my back, and Barney leaned over me, tracing lines on my arms.

"I don't know exactly when it happened. But it's been for a while now."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I was about to...the day you brought Lawrence to meet us for the first time." I sat up, looking over at them.

"Really?" I asked. He nodded. "Barney...I'm so sorry, I didn't know."

"I know you didn't. It's ok, Lauren." I shook my head.

"You waited for me...didn't you?"

"I wasn't' going to. You were so happy with Lawrence, but eventually this...feeling got so bad that I went to Lily, and she talked me into trying to get you." I rasied my eyebrows.

"Ah, so the fancy dinner was her doing. Well...I'm glad she did it."

"Me too."  I scooted closer to him, leaning forward and pressing my lips to his. I bring a hand up into his hair, and he pulls me onto his lap, wrapping  his arms around my waist. I tugged lightly at his hair, bringing him closer to me before pulling away. He moved his hands to my sides, skimming his thumbs over the material of my t-shirt. I smiled at him, and he smiled back.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I am exhausted." I climbed off of him, turning off the lights and crawling back into bed. "Goodnight, Barney."

"Night." 

~~~

When I woke up the next morning, my head was on Barney's chest, and his arm was wrapped loosely around my waist. I sighed, laying back down on his chest.

"Hey." He said, his voice deep with sleep.

"Hi." I looked at the clock, jumping up. "Oh, crap."

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"I'm late for work."

"You have a job?" He asked. I nodded.

"I have to have some form of income."

"Where do you work?"

"McLarens." He raised his eyebrows. "East side. The Pub."

"I've never actually been there." I shrugged.

"I still prefer ours to be honest. But, I've been waitressing there, so." I grabbed my dress from the floor. "and I don't have any cab money. Or any clothes."

"No, I think you have some you left here, from when you stayed with me after Ted?"

"Oh my gosh, you are a life saver!" He went into the closet and handed me a set of clothes and a twenty. "Thank you, Barney." I rushed to the bathroom and got ready. When I came back he was dressed in his usual suit, getting ready for his own job.

"Bye Barney." I stood on my toes, pressing my lips to his.

"Bye." I left the apartment, getting a can to work.

~~~

"Lauren, You're late." Nick, my boss said.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry." I grabbed my apron, tying it around my waist.

"Your usual's are here, thought you'd want to take 'em." I nodded head to table nine.

"Hey Tracy. What can I get for you?"

"I'm really craving a burger." She told me. I wrote it down. Tracy McConnell and her friends were my usual table, and reminded us A LOT of us.

"I'll put in a good word." I said sarcastically. "Max, what can I get you?" Tracy's boyfriend smiled up at me with a charming smile, his arm wrapped around her shoulders.

"Nothing for me, thanks." I nodded.

"Alright, coming right up."

"Have we ever told you that you're our favorite?" She asked. I shook my head.

"Not lately, no. But I appreciate it."  I smiled at them and put the order through to Larry, the cook.

"One burger, Tracy's order." I told him.

"Yep."

~~~

I sat in our McLarens later with the gang. Barney and I could both tell that Lily was itching to ask us about what happened last night, so we mutually agreed to act nonchalant and pretend like nothing happened. Marshall was in the middle of a hilarious story about a hot dog vendor when Lily interrupted:

"I can't take it anymore!" Marshall stopped talking and we all looked at her. "Sorry Baby. It's just... I gots ta know." She said, leaning over the table. Barney and I sat across from her, and Ted and Robin sat on the end.

"Know what?" Barney chuckled, looking between me and Lily. I shrugged.

"Yeah, seriously. What are you talking about?" Ted said.

"Barney's in love with Lauren."

"What?" Robin asked. Ted raised his eyebrows, and Marshall didn't look at all surprised.

"Barney has been in love with Lauren for a long time, and asked for my help, so I helped him, and I set up this date thing, but she didn't know it was a date, and then she over heard him telling some girl that he was in love with her. She walked out, and just as Barney was telling me what happened at his apartment, she showed up, and I have to know what happened!" She said quickly.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Not now, Ted!" The other three yelled, leaning forward in their seats.  Barney and I shared a look.

"Nothing happened." Barney said. I nodded. in agreement.

"What?"  Lily asked.

"We had an awkward conversation, discussed the fact that I have a boyfriend, and that was that." I explained. "All there is to tell, Lily."

"What, that's it?" I nodded.

"That's it. Don't worry though, we've discussed it, and we're still going to stay friends." I froze slightly, because just as he was saying this, his hand came down on my knee, his thumb skimming over the skin exposed by my skirt.

"Sorry, Lil." I placed my hand over his, slipping my fingers in between his. He ran his thumb over mine.

"No, it's...it's fine. I'm fine, really." I felt bad that she was so upset, but Barney and I just wanted to enjoy whatever this was before we brought our friends into it. I'd rather her be upset when it was fake rather than upset when it was true. I flipped Barney's hand over on my leg and started tracing lines on his palm with my fingertips. Every so often his fingers closed around mine, only to let go after a few seconds.

"Well, I think we have to go actually. We wanted to get in a game of laser tag tonight."

"Right. Yeah. Just keeping everything as normal as possible. " I pushed his hand off of my leg, pulling my jacket on and we made our way out. "We're not going to laser tag, are we?"

"Nope." I stuck a hand out, hailing a cab. We climbed in together and gave him Barney's address. I looked out the window, grabbing his hand, and interlacing our fingers. "We did the right thing, right? Not telling them."

"I think so, yeah. I just kind of want to enjoy it for a bit first before we tell them." I nodded.

"Exactly."