Chapter Eleven: Entitled To Their Opinion

After the date, Lawrence walked me home.

"Tonight was really fun." I told him. "The most fun I've had on a date...ever, I think." He laughed.

"Well, in that case...do you mind if I take you out to breakfast tomorrow?"

"Is that a request for date numero dos?" I asked, smiling down at the ground before looking back up at him.

"Yeah, yeah it is. It was really great meeting you and..." His eyes fell to my lips. "I think...I think I want to get to know more about you."

"I think I want to know more about you too..." I leaned back against my front door, and he was leaning down, until eventually his lips brushed against mine. It was...as cliché as it sounds, it was amazing. It was slow, and sensual. A very gentleman-ly first date kiss.  He pulled away, and I bit my lip, smiling up at him. "I'll knock on your door at eight, yeah?" I nodded. "Goodnight, Lauren."

"Good night, Lawrence. Ooh, I never noticed how similar our names are." He laughed, walking to the next door over and ducking inside. I entered my apartment, leaning against the other side of the door before squealing and jumping up and down. It was then I recalled that he was just next door, so I quieted my excitement and danced off to the shower.

As I washed my hair, I sang quietly to myself and thought about Lawrence. He was almost too good to be true. He's tall, handsome, funny. He shares my sarcasm and sense of humor, and he's charming. He is literally the perfect guy.

When I got out I had two missed calls from Barney.  I furrowed my eyebrows, clicking on his name and calling him.

"Lauren?"  He answered.

"Is everything ok?"

"Yeah, everything is fine. I'm just busy with a college volleyball player. What's up?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Barney, you called me."

"I, uh...I did."

"Yeah...twice."

"Huh...must've...pocket dialed you, or something."

"Ok...bye."

"Wait, wait. While I've got you on the phone, I was supposed to go get breakfast with the others, but they all cancelled. Do you want to go get breakfast with me?"

"Oh...I'm sorry, Barney. I can't. Lawrence is taking me out."

"A-again? But you just saw each other."

"I know, but...he lives next door and...I think he was just as eager to get to our second date as I was."

"Oh...ok."

"Are you sure you're ok?" I asked.

"Yeah. I'm great. What? Yeah, coming! I've gotta go. Bridget is calling me." I nodded.

"Have fun with your volleyball player."

"Yeah. Good night, Lauren."

"Night." I hung up, sighing.

I can't wait for tomorrow.

~~~

My alarm went off at 7 and I jumped out of bed, getting ready. I pulled out a loose fitting grey shirt, a black blazer, and a pink and black tribal-print skirt. I curled my hair so that it was in wavy, loose curls and slipped on my black heels just as a knock sounded on my door.

I opened the door to find Lawrence

I opened the door to find Lawrence. He had on a black leather jacket over a white dress shirt, and a blue tie over grey slacks.

"Ooh, is this standard policemen work attire I'm seeing?" I asked. He held up his arms, spinning around.

"What can I say? I make cop look good." His eyes surveyed my outfit. "However, not as good as you make 'in-between jobs' look."

"Well, thank you. I mean, I know, but thank you." He laughed as I shut the door behind me, and he put a hand on my back, leading me to the elevator.

~~~

I laughed as Lawrence intertwined our fingers over the table.

"So, what do you think you want to do?" He asked. I shrugged.

"I don't know. I've always kind of loved to write."

"Ah, you're a writer. Have you written anything before?" I nodded.

"I have a notebook hidden away in my apartment somewhere with things I've written. Poems, short stories, that kind of thing."  He smiled a breathtaking smile, causing me to smile back.

"You've gotta let me read them sometime."

"I don't know. Nobody has ever read them."

"It would be my honor to be the first." He pressed my hand to his mouth, and I felt the blush creep up my neck. He made me feel like a teenager again, and I loved it. I sat back, removing my hand from his.

"So, Mr. Police man. Don't you have to be at work?" He looked at his watch.

"Dang it, yeah I do. I hate to cut our date so short, but I can't afford to be late." I nodded.

"It's ok. I'm just glad I got to see you again so soon." We stood up, paying for our meal and walking to the street, where his car was parked. "I'll give you a ride back."

"No, that's ok. You go, I'll get a cab."

"How about, no." He opened the passenger side door, and I rolled my eyes, getting in.

~~~

"He wouldn't let you take a cab?" Lily asked. I had met her for lunch.

"He insisted on driving me back and walking me to the elevator despite the risk of being late for work. And when we were at breakfast he held my hand, and kissed it."

"That's so romantic." She cooed. I nodded, smiling. "Lauren, you're blushing!"

"Yeah...I mean, he's such a great guy. He'd incredible, and I just...I can't wait to see where this goes."

"Well I'm happy for you. You deserve a good guy after the whole Ted-Robin thing."

"Ted is still a good guy. Honestly, I'm over it." She nodded."I just...I have really high hopes for the future, Lil. I'm so excited."

"I know you are. Heck, we're all excited for  you."

"So you all liked him then?" I questioned.

"Oh, yeah." She took a sip of her drink, and I could tell by the look on her face that she was lying.

"Lily..." She sighed.

"Ok, four out of the five of us liked him." She said. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Loved him, actually. He's perfect for you."

"Who didn't like him?"

"Barney." I pondered this for a moment. "Lauren-"

"What right does he have?" I asked. "He goes home with girls practically every night without any clue what they're like, so what right does he have to judge Lawrence, who is amazing?"

"Lauren..."

"What did he say, exactly?" I asked.

"He said that Lawrence wasn't' good enough for you, and he hates the way he dresses."

"What's wrong with how he dresses?"

"Don't take it wrong. He hates how everyone dresses if it's not a suit." I sighed.

"Well, I may owe Barney a little visit."

"Don't get mad at him Lauren. Everyone is entitled to their opinions."

"Not when their opinions are wrong."  I grabbed my bag, stalking out of the bar and hailing a cab.

"Goliath National Bank, Please."