Chapter 16

"Mother, where were you?" standing in the middle of a meadow, I asked the woman coming towards me with a faint smile and eyes filled with horror. "Nowhere. Listen to me very carefully, there are so many things you need to learn in your life but maybe I will not be the one to teach you, maybe I will not be by your side when you need me but remember Life is the greatest Teacher. It will teach you to stay strong, to fight, to lose, to fight again and also to win. But before going, I am going to tell you something, remember it always, Excess of anything is Bad ." her melodious sweet voice was so loud in the silence. "Excess of anything is Bad." I repeated after her. "Mother, where are you going?" I asked in a childish voice, "To protect, my daughter you will remember everything when the right time comes. Your dreams will be pathways to your buried and lost memories. And no matter where you are, in which time you are, you will always return here, in your dreams." she kissed my forehead and walked away, maybe to return never.

I woke up, covered in sweat, my breathing was fast and my heart rate was touching skies. Again a dream but this time it was totally different. It didn't classify as a nightmare, it was not dark, dangerous or frightening but this was a part of nightmare. The difference being, this time I was standing and conversing with the woman in place of a small girl.

It was 11 am as my table clock told me. Last night Jonathan dropped me near Sofia's car and I drove back to my home sweet home. It was a tiring journey, and that is why I was sleeping till 11 am, until this part-nightmare woke me up. It is the 4 day, that means I have 3 days left. Finding the ring was easy but it took a lot of time. But, now I had both of the rings and it was time to catch the culprit and go to university too. After all, this all drama started there and I will put a end to it there.

I took a quick shower and got ready not more than 15 minutes. At 12 noon I was standing in front of the university, with rings safely buried deep in my pocket. How to tell Mr.X that I have got the rings? So that he will come out?

 I was wandering in the hallways until I reached my locker and saw it slightly open. There was another letter lying in there.

Dear Kate,

I know about your little trip to Victoria Adams, Sofia's Mom. And I also know that you have the rings so why we are wasting time? Stay in the university after the classes are over. And don't worry I have a pick and drop facility. So you don't have worry about being late or where to reach.

Anyways, Enjoy .......... Until I get you...

*Evil Laugh*

P.S I needed to write that.

So whosoever was this, he/she was keeping an eye on me. A proper cliché. I was not going to attend any classes because I was in no mood to solve maths problems when I had bigger problems in my life, and I didn't want to. This letter was hovering over my mind. It was printed so I couldn't identify the writing, smart move. And moreover, who writes *Evil Laugh*, that's so childish, I mean you can write things like that, I have no problem with that but writing it on a letter that is meant to threaten somebody, it is completely childish.

I was sitting in the cafeteria, waiting for the classes to be over. "Long time no see." Jake's voice echoed in the hall, he came and sit on our table, followed by Taylor and then Jonathan. Only one chair was left and that was of Daisy. Sadness filled my heart, and I started thinking about Daisy but suddenly Taylor said, "Excuse me I have to go. There is something important the needs my attention." he stood up and went away. So only me, Jonathan and Jake were left now. Jonathan was utterly silent. Maybe Jake was also feeling the uncomfortable silence, that is why he was also silent, besides making irritating munching noise, that was the only sound that could be heard on our table.

The lunch was over and Jake went to his class while Jonathan remained seated. "Don't you have a class to attend?" I asked him, "Don't you have a criminal to arrest? Why are you sitting here, wasting your precious time?" he retorted. "Weren't you the silent and shy agent? Who used to be afraid all the time and not speak a word?" I really wanted that Jonathan back. "Well, that was a cover. We both are secret agents and I guess you also know how important a cover is so that nobody suspects your real motive." he answered. "Well I was a secret agent." I muttered. "Was?" he asked totally confused. I ignored his comment and asked "What was your motive?" "I needed to see for myself whether you were really The Tracker, so that I could tell you the truth and hand over the rings, that's why I assisted you and followed you everywhere. It was a kind of test." he whispered slowly. "And you telling me the truth means I passed the test." "With flying colours." he added the last part to my sentence.

"You should go, I will tell you everything later." Or Not I added the last part in my mind. He was not removed from my suspect list. He was still there. Taylor was with him, on it, with his evergreen mysterious and fishy behaviour and Jake accompanying them.

Time passed, well It flew. Hours seemed like minutes in anticipation. The classes were over and every student was in his or her home with their family and friends and at the same time I was wandering in the empty, dark hallways just to find a criminal, about whom I know nothing about except he can be The Son as Jonathan suggested.

It was late evening and still no sign of anybody. Suddenly, I heard some shuffling near lockers, I ran towards the noise, which surprisingly was near my locker and I was more surprised to see him standing there.