Chapter Four: Flatline

The aircraft finally landed at our headquarters. The doctors instantly came for Clint, who was laid out on a stretcher. I barely made eye contact with him on the way out.

Maria walked up to where Steve, Tony, and I were standing. All of us were bickering over what food we should have delivered later, Tony only want schwarma. 

"Lab's all set up boss," Maria said to Tony as she gave Steve and I a nod.

"Uh, actually he's the boss. I just pay for everything, and design everything, and make every one look cooler," Tony said sarcastically.

I let out a cough, "Jackass."

Tony sent me a glare as I brushed past him to walk with Steve and Maria. Maria gave me a grin over my small joke. 

"What's the word on Strucker?" Steve asked Maria, all of us walking very fast. My short legs having to work double time to match their strides.

"NATO's got him," she replied formally.

"What about the two enhanced?" I asked her next, anxiety lacing my voice.

"Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. Twins. Orphaned at ten when a shell collapsed their apartment building. Sokovia's had a rough history. It's nowhere special but it's on the way to everywhere special," she informed the two of us. I nodded along with the information, allowing everything to sink in. Maybe they didn't want to help Hydra, but were scared and felt they had no other choices. 

"Their abilities?" Steve asked this time.

"He's got increased metabolism and improved thermal homeostasis. Her thing is neural electing interfacing, telekinesis, mental manipulation. Very much like our own Agent Smith here," she explained more elaborately.

Steve gave her a confused look for a moment.

"He's fast and she's weird," Maria said.

"All I know is that isn't the last we're going to see of them," I said.

"Agreed. File says they volunteered for Strucker's experiments. It's nuts," Maria said once more as Steve and I entered the elevator.

"Right. What kind of monster would let a German scientist experiment on them to protect their country?" Steve said, referring to himself.

"Right it's nuts?" I said sarcastically to Steve, who nodded in agreement.

"We're not at war, you two," she said back, exasperated.

"They are," he said to her as the elevator doors closed between the two of us.

"I think that went well," I said turning to meet his eyes.

"Are you okay? I know you seemed pretty tense about the enhanced," he said.

"It worries me, having others out there who have abilities like this so close to us. Especially since hers seem so close to mine," I explained to him. My hands winding and unwinding in small fists. 

"Don't worry we'll get it all figured out," he said, pulling me into a hug.

I wrapped my arms as best as I could around him. Snuggling my head in his chest.

"You always know way to say," I said, my voice muffled.

"That I do," he said with a chuckle, kissing my forehead. 

I pulled away and gave him an playful elbow in the stomach. Both of us grinning like fools at each other. 

"So are we staying in the tower tonight? Since the scepter is here?" I asked Steve. "You know Tony has a room for each one of us here. And we know how much he loves having guests."

"That sounds like a good idea," Steve replied. "Now you should really go check on Barton. You don't have to stay long. Just see how he's doing. I know it'll mean a lot to him."

"What would I be without you always showing me the right decisions?" I said sarcastically. Steve knew I wasn't serious, that I only wanted to get out of seeing Clint.

"You know you need to. I'll meet you in our room later," he said to me, hugging me one more time before heading off the elevator in the opposite direction of where I needed to go. 

I let out a groan, and left the elevator to head for the infirmary where Clint was stationed. Leaving Steve to go change into his regular clothes. I would just have to change when I got back.

"How's he doing?" I asked as I walked into the room. Both Bruce and Tony turned at the sound of my voice. Clint lifted his head up, sending me a small smile. I brushed it off and turned my attention to Tony.

"Oh unfortunately, he's still Barton," Tony answered cooly.

"I can see that," I replied icily.

"Uh that's terrible," Bruce said playfully, trying to change the direction the conversation was bound to go in if he someone didn't stop me. The tension between Tony and I rising everyday, it was never a good thing for the two of us to be around each other for long. Both our tempers weren't good for the other.

Tony left the room, obviously up to something. But I was preoccupied at the moment. I sent Bruce a stare, mentally begging him to stay in the room with me so I didn't have to be left alone with Clint.

Then Natasha walked in and I knew there wasn't going to be any convincing needed to get him to stay now. The two have been having quite the connection since the group has been together more lately.

"You sure he's going to be okay? Pretending to need this guy really brings the team together," Natasha said, directing the question to Dr.Cho. I let out a scoff, and Nat sent me a glare. She has been trying to keep the peace between Clint and I. Everything between her and I have been totally back to normal since everything in Washington. But, I knew she hated all of the digs I sent towards Clint. She was way more understanding, probably since she had been in the loop.

"There's no possibility of deterioration. The nano-molecular functionality is instantaneous. His cells don't know they're bonding with simulacrum," Dr.Cho informed all of us.

"She is creating tissue," Bruce said out loud, he looked completely amazed by all of this work.

"If you brought him to my lab, the regeneration cradle could do this in twenty minutes," she said, sounding impressed with even herself.

"Doctor there's no reason to brag, we all know you're brilliant," I said with a smile.

"Don't mind her, she's mad she doesn't even have a high school degree," Nat mocked over on the side. I stuck out my tongue.

"Well I would have had one, you know if I wasn't brainwashed," I replied, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Excuses, excuses," she said in mock disappointment.

"Oh, he's flatlining. Call it. Time?" Stark said as he entered the room.

"Time for me to get the hell out of here," I said as I quickly left the room.

Ever since everything went down in Washington, things haven't been quite the same with me. Especially knowing everything I did now. It changed everything. 

~A/N Yay another chapter done! Please let me know how you guys are liking it. What do you think of Cap's and Morgan's developing relationship as an engaged couple? 

Please if you enjoyed this leave a vote and comment. It would truly mean the world to me. I can't even tell you how much it makes me happy to see your feedback! I really want to know how everyone is liking the direction of this book or if there are something I should revise in upcoming chapters. 

If this gets a lot of feedback I will post a new chapter tomorrow too!~