Chapter Fifteen: Real Work

After Steve and I finished talking everything out, we both decided to be helpful while we were here. So we decided to help with the wood. Steve and Tony were chopping the wood and every time they finished a piece I would force a new one for them to chop. Let's just say Steve's pile was coming along a lot faster.

"So did you know about all of this Smith?" Tony asked me, his eyes meeting mine. There was a lot of skepticism in his stare.

"I didn't," I said sharply, my throat tightening. My own voice betraying me. 

"Oh ok, I didn't know, sorry," Tony said honestly, returning his attention to the block of wood in front of him.

"It's fine," I told him, nodding my head. I wanted to show him there was no harm done in him asking.

"Thor didn't say where he was going for answers?" Tony asked Steve, trying to change the subject from the awkward conversation he had brought up.

"Sometimes my teammates don't tell me things. I was kind of hoping Thor would be the exception. You know besides Morgan here," Steve told him, hinting to the fact that no one told each other the full truth. Plus this whole Ultron thing probably could have been avoided if Tony had shared this information with the rest of us.

"Yeah give him time. We don't know what the Maximoff kid showed him," Tony said, obviously avoiding the shade Steve threw at him. 

"'Earth's Mightiest Heroes.' Pulled us apart like cotton candy," Steve said as he chopped another piece of wood.

"It wasn't exactly our best moment I'll admit," I said to them, forcing another piece of wood for Steve to chop next.

"Seems like you walked away alright Steve," Tony said bitterly. I felt myself go tense, knowing that that wasn't the case.

"Tony don't-" I tried to say, but Steve interrupted me.

"Is that a problem?" Steve asked him, glaring at him.

"I don't trust a guy without a dark side. Call me old fashioned. But, look at Smith over here, I get it she's got some rough past and obviously she has a dark side," Tony commented. "I can appreciate that about her."

"Watch it Tony," I warned him, making the wood hover closer to him. "Just because I don't go inside your mind doesn't mean I can't, or won't."

Tony sent me a glare, realizing that I could easily find his own skeletons. 

"Well let's just say you haven't seen it yet," Steve said to him, obviously growing more angry. I know these comments from Tony weren't helping anything and the digs about me weren't going to create peace either. It looked like I would need to be the level headed one right now.

"You know Ultron is trying to tear us apart right?" Tony asked both of us, looking between the two of us. I sat the piece of wood down, focusing between them.

"Well I guess you'd know. Whether you tell us is a bit of a question," Steve remarked, chopping another piece of wood. 

"Banner and I were doing research," Tony said, trying to explain his side of things.

"That would affect the team," Steve said, clearly not wanting to listen.

"Tony, you have to admit you should've talked to everyone," I said, trying to make them think. I wasn't sure what to say at the moment, but a fight isn't what the team needed right now. 

"I wanted it to end the team. Isn't that the mission? Isn't that the 'why' we fight, so we can end the fight, so we get to go home?" Tony shouted, mostly at Steve.

I watched as Steve ripped the piece of wood he had grabbed in half. I held my breathe, not sure what was going to happen next. I stood to my feet, ready to stop a fight if that's what it came to.

"Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time," Steve told Tony, his glare wasn't faltering. 

Before anything else could happen Laura, Barton's wife walked up. She cleared her throat, obviously aware of the clear tension.

"I'm sorry Mr. Stark, uh, Clint said you wouldn't mind, but, our tractor, it doesn't seem to want to start at all. I thought you might-" Laura started.

"Yeah, I'll give her a kick," Tony interrupted, very much so wanting to get away from us. He then pointed at his pile of wood, almost three times smaller than Steve's. "Don't take from my pile."

I let out a nervous laugh, not sure what to do at the moment. This has to be one of the first times I've been speechless.

"That went well," I said to Steve, who was stacking the wood in a neat pile.

"He just, I don't understand him Morgan," Steve explained, grabbing another piece of wood to chop.

"I know, trust me I am not his biggest fan, but I do think he did this to help. I don't think he wanted a murder bot," I told him, forcing another piece up for him to hit. He sent me a grateful look.

"I get that, but he doesn't think these things through. He just does it, why wouldn't he talk to the team first?" he asked me, searching my face for answers.

"I don't know, maybe he thought he didn't have another choice. It isn't a good reason but it's Tony and I don't ever know where his heads at," I explained to Steve.

"I guess so," he said, mulling over what I just said.

"Now are we done chopping wood? All this hard work is making me thirsty," I said jokingly.

"Oh sorry all the manual labor was too much for you," Steve said with a smile, walking to me and picking me up.

I let out a laugh as he spun me around, setting me down on my feet.

"I love you," he said grabbing my hand, touching the ring on my finger.

"I love you too," I told him honestly.

When we leaned in to kiss, someone let out a yell that there was a meeting going on in the house.

"They have great timing don't they?" I asked him, laughing.

"The best," he said with his own smile.

As I went to walk off, and join the rest of the team, he grabbed my hand and pulled me into a sweet kiss.

"Now we can go," he said, dragging me along.

"You are full of it," I said laughing at his sudden bravery.

Then the real work began.