Chapter Twenty-Six: Hopeless Place

The robots weren't seeming to slow down anytime soon. I forced a huge piece of concrete from the split  end of the bridge and took out three of them at once, crushing them to pieces. I turned to see one of the robots sneaking up on Steve, I teleported behind Steve and took out my knives, cutting the robots wires. It slung me to the side, and I hit my head on one of the rocks on the ground.

Steve turned and saw me, taking out another robot quickly, rushing to my side. He helped me to my feet. I rubbed the back of my head, looking for any signs of blood. My hands were clean and no blood was evident.

"Listen I need you alive, I can't marry myself Smith," Steve said slightly chuckling. But, in his eyes I saw there was nothing but seriousness.

"I wouldn't dream of it," I let out in one breathe, completely exhausted. "My powers are running low. I need to fight without them for now, save them for something big if it comes to that."

Steve nodded quickly, understanding what I meant. He knew we may all face Ultron one more time. I wouldn't be much good without my powers to assist me.

"You guys are cute, but I could use a hand," Natasha shouted from our left.

"Romanoff! Glad to see you finally join us," I joked with her.

Steve sent his shield in her direction, allowing her to block the oncoming attacks of the robots. I ran as fast as I could to her side, sweeping past several of the robots. Taking them out as I went along.

"I was just a little caught up," she replied over the sound of her guns firing.

We took out most of the robots around us, but we all knew this peace wouldn't last long. There would be a new swarm coming in at any moment.

"The next wave's gonna hit any moment. What have you got, Stark?" Steve asked Tony through the ear piece.

"Well, nothing great. Maybe a way to blow up the city. That'll keep it from impacting the surface if you guys can get clear," Tony responded heavily.

"That doesn't sound like a fun plan," I told him, not liking these odds we were all facing.

"I asked for a solution, not an escape plan," Steve told Tony seriously.

"Impact radius is getting bigger every second. We're going to have to make a choice, " Tony replied solemnly.

Steve and I both exchanged a look. If this was it, well I didn't want to go out as a bunch of losers. I nodded to Steve, signaling he should give Tony an answer.

"Cap, Smith, these people are going nowhere. If Starks finds a way to blow this rock," Natasha said to us, obviously trying to make this seem right. To make this seem like our best bet, and it may very well be.

"Not 'til everyone is safe," Steve said stubbornly.

"Everyone up here versus everyone down there?" Natasha asked him.

"There isn't much math there Steve, either way no-one asked for it. Who are we to decide?" I asked Steve, putting a hand on his arm. Trying my best to comfort him. Trying to comfort myself in all of this.

"I'm not leaving this rock with one civilian on it, and I know you wouldn't either," Steve said to me, his blue eyes piercing into my own.

"You're right, I never said anything about leaving," I told him. The weight of my words sending a small silence amongst us.

"There's worse ways to go. Where else am I gonna get a view like this?" Natasha said.

"Well I would have preferred to at least been man and wife," I said to Steve. Looking down at my ring, spinning it around my finger. Steve grabbed my hand in his, making me lock eyes with him. He gave me a small nod, and I knew exactly what he meant. I knew what he was trying to say, even though he couldn't say it.

But before all hope was lost a Helicarrier made its appearance in front of us.

"You still make get that chance Smith," Fury's voice said over an intercom, his voice ringing out all around us.

"You have got to be kidding me," I said, smiling as big as I could. There wasn't a time I had been more happy to see him.

"Nice, right? I pulled her out of mothballs with a couple of old friends. She's dusty, but she'll do," Fury replied, his own small smile evident.

"Fury, you son of a bitch," Steve swore beside me.

I couldn't help but let out a huge laugh. All this time he gives me hell for my own potty mouth.

"Ooh! You kiss your mother with that mouth? Smith you may be rubbing off on him after all," Fury said smartly .

Just as I thought this couldn't get any better, several life boats started appearing everywhere. There was plenty of space for all of the civilians who were still left.

Then a blue streak raced by, stopping just beside Steve and I. He looked quite impressed.

"This i s SHIELD?" Pietro asked, his mouth open slightly. I could tell he was surprised, but in a good way.

"This is what SHIELD's supposed to be," Steve told him, his eyes were full of so much pride. I couldn't blame him, this is really what SHIELD used to about. What I hoped it could be about again. 

"This is not so bad," Pietro replied, his on eyes traveling across the hellicarriers. There seemed to be a lot of gratefulness in them. 

"Let's load these bithces up," I said excitedly.

I was hoping this would be our way out. Hoping everyone of us would make it out alive. 

~A/N As always thank you so much for reading. Please let me know what you think, I really appreciate it and try to respond to everyone. Leave a vote or comment if you enjoyed this chapter (: ~