Chapter Thirty: Home

My eyes fluttered open, only to close again. The bright lights all around me were so different than the utter darkness I had just grown accustomed to. I slowly opened my eyes again, letting the light slowly in. It felt nice.

I looked around the room, the monitor next to me relentlessly beeping. I watched over and over as the line went up and down. Showing the steady heart beat, my steady heart beat. One I hadn't thought would ever be seen again.

Then I turned to see a chair in the corner. A man was slumped in the chair, Steve. His eyes were closed as he slept, his mouth slightly opened. As peaceful as he looked I could still see the worry etched all over his face, the worry I put there.

I tried talking, but no words came out. There was only silence as my mouth opened.

I tried once more, but only a raspy cough erupted from me. My throat felt scratchy as I tried once more. Slowly words started to come out, quietly.

"Steve," I rasped, barely audible. The sleeping figure didn't move.

So I decided to use other measures.

"Steve!" I exclaimed in a brain message.

I watched as he startled awake, looking frantically around, until his eyes landed on me. I saw disbelief all over his features. Then he was by me in an instant. I couldn't help but let tears escape as his arms closed me in a tight hug. One I wasn't sure I would ever feel again.

We stayed that was for what felt like hours, not letting the other go. Until I could feel a familiar sting of pain in my abdomen. I flinched, and he instantly backed off. I regretted ever letting it show I was in pain, not wanting him to let me go.

"How are you feeling?" he asked me quickly, eyes scanning my entire body for pain.

"Happy," I told him as best I could. Steve reached for a glass of water next to the bed, giving me some. The ice cold water felt good against my throat, it felt raw. I must have screamed a lot.

"I was afraid you wouldn't wake up," Steve told me, his hands finding mine quickly. "The doctors weren't sure either. The wound went really deep, the metal was really close to an important organ."

"Sounds serious," I told him faintly. I didn't want to dwell on my close death encounter. I didn't want him to know the choice I almost went with. The one I was so tempted to choose.

"I should tell the team you're awake. They all have been really worried," Steve told me, heading for the door. He lingered in the doorway, staring at me for another moment. I felt my face flush under all of his attention.

"What?" I asked him flustered.

"I am just so grateful you made it. I thought I'd never see those pretty eyes of yours again. Or hear one of your many sarcastic replies," he told me, before making his way over towards me again. Forgetting about his previous task of telling the other Avengers.

I took a deep breathe, realizing what I could have lost. What I almost chose.

"What is it?" Steve asked me, staring intently.

"How do you know there's something wrong? I am totally fine, as fine as I can be," I told him, feeling flushed once more.

"Mo, I can tell when you're not okay. You always scrunch your nose and stare down. I know when you don't want to share things, because you never fully look me in the eyes. So tell me, what's on your mind?" Steve said all at once.

"There was a choice to make," I told him.

"What do you mean?" he asked, face full of confusion.