Chapter Five: Slow Dances

Steve and I were in our shared room in the Stark tower. The two of us were both getting ready for the night. Steve was in Khakis, a blue plaid button down, and a leather jacket. I threw on a simple black dress, a pair of knee high black boots, and a black leather jacket.

"I must say you look very beautiful. I'll have the prettiest dancing partner out there tonight," Steve said, holding out his hand for me to grab.

I took it easily and followed as he lead me out of the room.

"You look very handsome Mr. Rogers. I sure am a lucky girl," I said with a cheeky smile. He leaned over and kissed me on the cheek. "I do hate parties though. I really hate Stark parties."

He let out a laugh as he lead us to the stairs that lead to where everyone was.

"You're starting to sound like me."

"Like that's a bad thing," I said honestly.

I was interrupted then as one of the people working the party came over and shoved a drink into mine and Steve's face.

"Compliments of Mr. Stark," she said, smiling at us. But, mostly at Steve. I watched as her eyes traveled down his body. I couldn't help my emotions, and then she let out a gasp and grasped the side of her head. Her now empty tray clattered to the floor. 

Steve pulled me away quickly before muttering an apology at the woman. He grabbed her tray and handed it to her before sweeping me out of the situation. 

"Hey what was that about?" he asked quickly, his eyes searching mine for some kind of answer. 

"Sorry, sorry. I didn't mean to. I was getting jealous, I mean she was looking at you like you didn't even have clothes on! But my powers must've gotten away from me. I swear I didn't mean to," I said suddenly, barely breathing as I let it out all in one breathe. I could feel my hands shaking, my anxiousness over my powers getting the better of me. 

"It's fine, I believe you. Just be careful okay?" he said, looking me in the eyes. I nodded and walked towards the bar. Steve headed off towards Sam. I'd join the two of them in a moment.

I walked over to where Tony, Rhodes, Maria, and Thor were all together.

"So no Pepper?" I asked when I walked over.

"Yeah she's not coming?" Rhodes piped up after me.

"No," Tony replied shortly.

"Hey, what about Jane? Where are the ladies gentlemen?" Maria asked, I let out a laugh.

"Well, Ms. Potts has a company to run," Tony explained.

"Yes, I'm not even sure what country Jane is in. Her work on the convergence has made her the world's foremost astronomer," Thor said.

"Hmm yes, very convenient. Don't you think Hill?" I asked, turning to Maria.

"Oh yes very," she agreed.

"And the company that Pepper runs is the largest tech conglomerate on Earth. It's pretty exciting," Tony said turning to Thor, completely ignoring what both Hill and I said.

"There's even talk of Jane getting, a, um, uh, Nobel Prize," Thor replied, as if he and Tony were the only ones in the conversation now.

"Yeah they..they must be busy because they'd hate missing you guys get together," Maria said. She then mocked coughed into her hand. "Testosterone. Oh excuse me."

"Let's get you some water before you choke," I said sarcastically as I lead her away. The two of us giggling like school girls. We talked for a moment more before we both headed in our own directions.

I walked over towards Sam and Steve. Sam gave me a small hug and a warm smile.

"Steve told me about the team's adventure earlier. Sounded like a hell of a fight. Sorry I missed it," he told me.

"Trust me I wish you were there too. I need someone there to laugh at my jokes," I said.

"Listen if I had known it was going to be a firefight I absolutely would have called you," Steve explained to him. He was worried Sam would feel left out of all the Avenger action.

"No I'm not actually sorry. I'm just trying to sound tough. I'm very happy chasing cold leads on our missing persons case. Avenging is your guys' world. Your world is crazy," Sam said to us. I let out an exasperated sigh at the mention of none of our leads working out.

"Be it ever so humble," Steve remarked, brushing off the fact that there hasn't been many leads.

Steve and I chatted some more with Sam, lightening the conversation up before we headed off towards the bar. Earlier I had seen Bruce and Natasha flirting with each other. I may have suggested Steve and I go investigate once Nat walked off. Bruce was much easier to get some information out of.

"It's nice," Steve said as we approached Bruce, who looked completely innocent when we walked over.

"What, what, what is?" he stuttered, a small blush rising to his cheeks.

"You and Romanoff. Keep up Banner," I said with a smile.

"No we haven't. That wasn't.." he said, trying to explain and backtrack.

"It's okay. Nobody's breaking any by-laws. I mean look at Morgan and I, flirting in the team definitely isn't illegal. It's just, she's not the most.. open person in the world. But with you she seems very relaxed," Steve informed Bruce, trying to make him more confident about the situation.

"No, Natasha, she.. she likes to flirt," Bruce stuttered out once more. He was trying to avoid the feelings the two obviously had for one another.

"Trust me Banner, I've seen her flirt. Many, many, times," I said. Steve gave me a small elbow in the gut, signaling that that probably wasn't helping. "But, I can honestly say she seems very genuine, this isn't like those other times I've seen her. So you know, no pressure."

He gave me a tiny smile. I honestly couldn't tell if this made the conversation worse or better.

"Just don't wait too long, you could miss out on something amazing," Steve said before grabbing my hand and twirling me towards the dance floor.

The two of us started slow dancing together, even though there wasn't slow song. It was mostly techno music playing tonight, and of course a lot of ACDC.

"That was very good advice," I told him as he held me tightly.

"Well, I would hate to see someone, especially two people we both care about, to miss out on something so important," Steve said earnestly.

"Could you be anymore perfect?" I sighed, as the two of us continued to sway.

Then Tony came over, interrupting our dance.

"C'mon you lovebirds, you're making the rest of us sick," he said with a smirk on his face. It was then that I realized everyone had left besides the Avengers team, Maria, and Rhodes. "We're all hanging out on the couch. We would love for you two join us, if you can both keep it in your pants long enough."

My face instantly heated up, and I knew Steve's was probably bright red.

"Just because we're on the same team doesn't mean I won't kick your ass Stark," I said jokingly, not even he would ruin my mood after the sweet moment Steve and I shared. 

"Careful Morgan, Steve doesn't like those naughty words," he said back. Both of us burst out laughing, Steve rolled his eyes at the two of us.

"Uh-oh you got us in trouble now, Tony," I said laughing some more.

I followed the two of them over to the couch where the rest of the team was sitting.

This was going to be a fun night. 

~A/N Yay another chapter. Sorry it wasn't put up yesterday but I loved all the feedback so I figured I would go ahead and post another chapter for you guys!! 

Thank you so much to everyone reading and supporting this book so far. It means the world to me. 

As always if you liked it please leave a vote or comment, or both! It is all so so appreciated. Please let me know what you think!~