Chapter Sixteen: Advancement

We were all gathered around in the kitchen, I was off in the corner, not wanting to be anywhere near Clint. Steve was close to the center, being the leader he was.

"Ultron took you folks out of to play to buy himself some time. My contacts all say he is building something. The amount of vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing," Fury said to everyone, looking around the room with his eye.

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asked Fury, trying to get as much information as he could.

"Ah, he's easy to track, he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though," Fury explained to us.

"He still going after launch codes?" Tony asked, clearly worried.

"Yes, he is, but he's not making any headway," Fury said. I let out a small sigh of relief at that. That was some sort of good news, no matter how small it was.

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare," Tony said, half bragging, half confused as to why Ultron couldn't do it.

"Plus I know I've used my powers in the past to get into all kinds of government facilities, I'm sure he could use the Maximoff girl," I said out loud to everyone.

"Yeah, well, I contacted our friends at NEXUS about that," Fury replied to both of us.

"NEXUS?" Steve and I asked at the same time. Almost everyone in the room groaned.

"What?" I asked all of them, laughing at all of their faces. They hated when Steve and I did that.

"It's the world internet hub in Oslo, every byte of data flows through there, fastest access on Earth," Bruce explained in his science talk, ignoring what had just happened.

"So what'd they say?" Clint asked Fury.

"He's fixated on the missiles, but the codes are constantly being changed," Fury informed. All of this information was a lot to take in.

"By whom?" Tony asked Fury this time.

"Parties unknown," Fury quickly answered, but what he said wasn't always the truth. He couldn't necessarily be trusted on that.

"Do we have an ally?" Natasha asked, speaking up for the first time.

"Ultron's got an enemy, that's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is," Fury said.

"I might need to visit Oslo, find our 'unknown'," Tony claimed.

"Well this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that," Natasha said to Nick. He smiled in return.

"I do, I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. Here we all are, back on Earth, with nothing but our wit, and our will to save the world. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard," Nick told all of us.

"Fury, Steve doesn't tolerate that type of language around here," I said, gasping and throwing a hand over my heart.

"You know what Smith," he said smirking at me across the room.

Everyone laughed at our exchange, the first time we enjoyed ourselves as a team since Ultron appeared. It felt nice to feel like one again. Even if it was just for a moment.

"So what does he want?" Fury asked Steve.

"To become better. Better than us. He keeps building bodies," Steve explained to everyone.

"Person bodies. The human form is inefficient, biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it," Tony said, thinking out loud.

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed," Natasha said to Bruce and Tony.

"That's not a lie," I said, agreeing with her.

"They don't need to be protected, they need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve," Bruce informed all of us, starting to get lost in his own thoughts.

"How?" I asked him, not clearly getting what he was trying to insinuate.

"Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?" Bruce asked, looking all around the room. All of us now understanding.

"You don't think?" I asked, looking around the room, my eyes probably that of a crazy persons. "He's going to use her machine to make a new, more advanced body. Something unstoppable."

Everyone's face was that of panic and distress. There wasn't anything any of us could say that would make it better. We had to act fast.

We had to act now.

~A/N thank you so much to everyone who has been reading this story. I appreciate every single one of you! If I can get this story up to five votes I will post a new chapter by midnight!
So please leave a vote or comment if you enjoyed it. Both are very appreciated!
Also please check out my xmen fanfic it's called "Stronger". I would really appreciate it! I would love to get some feedback on it!
Everyone who leaves a comment on either this story or Stronger I will make sure to follow them!
Thank you all so much!~