Chapter Twenty-Two: Mind Stones

"I've had a vision. A whirlpool that sucks all hope of life, and it's center is that," Thor explained to us, pointing at the gem in the center of mans head. I felt like my head was spinning, I had to close my eyes and take a deep breathe. Was Thor talking about Ultron or an all new threat?

"What, the gem?" Bruce asked him, confusion on his face was evident. I'm sure mine was somewhere between confused and I may or may not pass out.

"It's the Mind Stone. It's one of the six Infinity Stones, the greatest power in the universe, unparalleled in its destructive capabilities," Thor told us, glancing around the room. His eyes locked onto mine for a moment, and gave me a tiny nod. I'm sure I looked like a mess.

"Then why the hell did you bring it to life?" I half yelled at him, my mind was reeling. What else was this world going to throw at us?

"Because Stark was right Morgan," he said calmly. I could feel my face turn bright red. How could this be? Stark was right?  I was so sure we were this time, that he would only be creating another Ultron, more destruction. 

"Don't look so surprised Smith," I heard Tony's cocky voice say from the side of me. I could see Steve visibly tense up. I knew I probably looked as stiff as a board as well. There was no playfulness in me for Tony and his games. 

"Don't pretend I don't remember that dirty comment about me Stark," I basically growled, my voice laced with so much anger. 

"Oh, it's definitely the end times," Bruce added, trying to lighten the new tension between the three of us.

"The Avengers cannot defeat Ultron," Thor said bluntly. There was complete seriousness in his voice, this wasn't a time for jokes. 

"Why not?" I asked him, trying to stay calm.

"Your team cannot do it alone," The vision spoke up. He stared at me for a moment, almost as if he were analyzing me. I felt like shrinking to the size of an ant under his gaze.

"Why does your 'vision' sound like Jarvis?" Steve asked Thor, something I hadn't realized until now. My anger and confusion clogging my rational thinking. But now that he said it I couldn't stop hearing the obvious connection. 

"We.. we configured Jarvis' matrix to create something new," Tony spoke up, actually being helpful for the first time since the Vision awoke.

"I think I've had my fill of new," Steve replied shortly.

"I think I agree," I muttered, not liking all of what has been thrown at us. I wasn't the best at adapting. 

"You two think I am a child of Ultron?" Vision spoke to us calmly. I gave Steve a look, before turning to face Vision again.

"Are you not one of his?" I asked skeptically. I tried to go inside his mind, but it wasn't like a humans. I watched as his attention went to directly to me now, realizing what I was doing, his eyes squinting as he tried figuring me out. 

"I'm not Ultron. I'm not Jarvis. I am.. I am.." Vision searched for the word but Wanda interrupted him.

"I looked in your head and saw annihilation," she said to him.

"I saw the same," I said turning to look at her for a moment. She nodded, as if appreciating the back up. "When he was still in the cradle, I saw destruction. Why do you think we were so adiminant about stopping Stark?"

"Look again," he said to the two of us calmly. As if I hadn't already tried that. 

"Yeah because the Maximoff's word means jack to me," Clint said to the room, staring coldly at her.

"Well my words probably doesn't mean much more than hers," I said to him, my eyes daring him to challenge me. I knew he didn't trust Wanda, I didn't either, but my word should mean something. Or maybe I was truly right about his mistrust in me. Maybe the brother/sister relationship I thought we shared was all made up by poor orphan me. Maybe I was truly pathetic. 

"Morgan," he tried, but I shook my head. I didn't to hear whatever he had to say. Now wasn't the time.

"You did this to yourself Barton," Steve told him, wanting to back me up. I knew he could sense the sadness and frustration I have pent up over this. 

"What the hell do you know Rogers?" Clint barked at him, tensions were running higher. I could see Clint's hand tightly wound at is side. 

"Back off Barton, he's right," I told him coldly. "Thor can you please continue."

"Their powers,the horror in our heads, Ultron himself, they all came from the Mind Stone, and they're nothing compared to what it an unleash. But with it on our side," Thor started, but Steve was quick to stop him.

"Is it? Are you? On our side?" he asked Vision all at once. 

"I don't think it's that simple," Vision answered, which if you asked me seemed quite shady.

"You better simplify it," I said shortly.

"I am on the side of life. Ultron isn't, he will end it all," Vision replied thoughtfully. Where the hell did this guy learn to talk like this?

"What's he waiting for?" Tony asked Vision, he had stayed unusually quiet throughout all of this, especially our little bicker with Barton.

"You," Vision said simply.

"Where?" Bruce asked him.

"Sokovia. He's got Nat there too," Clint spoke up, quietly. I watched as his eyes darted towards me for an instant before turning back to everyone else.

"If we're wrong about you, if you're the monster that Ultron made you to be.." Bruce started.

"What will you do?" Vision challenged. But I watched as his eyes showed submission, realizing we were strong as a team. "I don't want to kill Ultron. He's unique and he's in pain. But that pain will roll over the Earth, so he must be destroyed. Every form he's built, every trace of his presence on the net, we have to act now. And not one of us can do it without the others. Maybe I am a monster. I don't think I'd know if I were one. I'm not what you are, and now what you intended. So there may be no way to make you trust me. But we need to go."

As he finished he reached for Thor's hammer and we all watched in silence as he effortlessly lifted it and handed to Thor. I could feel my jaw literally dropping in amazement. Vision, who didn't realize what he had just done, walked out of the room.

"Right," Thor said meekly, no longer being the only one who could lift the hammer. He walked past Tony and patted his shoulder. "Well done."

"Three minutes. Get what you need," Steve instructed the team, heading for our shared room. I instantly followed behind him. Still not quite sure how I felt about all of this.

But what other choice did I have?

We had to fight.

~A/N Thank you everyone who has been reading and commenting and voting on this book, it means so much to me. You all are literally the best! As always please leave a vote or comment, or both, if you enjoyed this chapter. I love seeing what you all think of the chapter.r

Let me know what you're favorite part of this chapter was and I'll shout you out in my next update~