Chapter 3

"I hope you got some beds around
'cause you're the only refuge now." -"Crossfire" by Stephen

~~~~~~~

Nova managed to make her way down to the ruined city. She passed through a small section of forest, the trees ranging from species, but all providing wonderful shade in the already scorching day. Animals she had never seen before scurried away at her presence. She marveled at this newfound world, seeming to be the complete opposite to what she was raised in.

Nova trekked across grassy plains, the grass hitting as high as her knee. It swayed in the light breeze, creating a ripple effect across the vast area it covered. She had never felt more at peace. Wandering around town with nothing to do except staying out of the ways of bustling Overseers and waiting to be called down for a feeding compared nothing to this.

Sooner than she rather cared for, Nova hit the outskirts of the destroyed city. She picked her way around fallen debris and shattered glass in the cobbled roads. She didn't know where she was going, but she felt like she was going the right way. Nova couldn't explain it, but her gut told her she was heading towards her future.

She weaved her way aimlessly around the cities streets. Vegetation crawled up sides of buildings and in between the normally well kept stones on the paths. Chills went up Nova's spine at the eerie silence of a place that used to house hundreds, if not thousands. How could  a colossal place like this fall to such ruin?

As she rounded yet another corner, the sounds of hooves pounding down the cobblestone roads met her ears. Nova froze, turning towards the sound as six armed people came into view. They slowed their horses near her, forming a looming circle around Nova.

She noticed how all of them wore a similar uniform: a thick looking blue jacket with silver buttons lining the entire front in two parallel lines. The jacket came up around their necks, and Nova instantly assumed it was to keep bloodsuckers from easily getting a snack. She saw that a yellow belt  wrapped around their hips, and some held holsters for swords. Next were long, fitting jeans that matched the blue color of the jacket. Black boots laced up to the shin. All six rested their hands on their weapons, ready to draw if threatened. A tug at her gut gave her a good feeling about these strangers, despite their rather hostile appearance.

"Who are you, and why are you wandering around this city?" one of the members of the group asked in a guarded tone. She could only assume he was the leader.

"I escaped from being held captive by vampires," Nova answered his question. She observed his eyes widen a fraction before darting up to his colleagues.

"From vampires you say? How long have you been freed?" he questioned. His horse grew a bit restless, and he turned it in a tight circle before resuming his position.

"Not that long," she started off. "I escaped earlier today while their guards were down," Nova responded, shifting her weight from foot to foot. Her questioner looked around at his surroundings before jerking his head in the direction behind him.

"Hop on; we'll finish your questioning back at base. Out in the open like this, it's easy to be ambushed when we are focused on one thing." The leader jerked his horse's reins, causing it to step around to show its side. She gave him a look before complying, hoisting herself up and getting situated behind the rider. They took off instantly at a galloping pace. Nova couldn't help but wrap her arms tightly around the rider to keep from falling off.

They darted through the streets, taking a turn this way or that before they slowed in front of a building. Everyone slid off their horses, grabbing the reins before tugging them off to a makeshift pasture out back. Nova slid off first before the horse's rider followed suit.