Chapter 42

"These steps we take to be fearless are yours, life is yours
When death's at stake you'll be fearless, be sure, life is yours" -"Days Are Numbered" by Black Veil Brides

~~~~~~

Reinforcements arrived the next day. Two squadrons were accompanied by a person from Colonel Marie's team. It was the drawer of her team, Jessaline, if Nova remembered correctly. A smaller traveling wagon was tied behind two horses. They pulled up to the decrepit building that the squadron had taken up residence. The clear distaste was evident on Jessaline's face.

"You've been staying here for the past week?" she asked, her voice thick with disgust.

"We wouldn't want to stay at the old headquarters since vampires know the location," Tony explained, sending Jessaline a fake, hostile smile. Jessaline made a noise of acknowledgement. She took in her surroundings, her hands resting on her hips. Next to one of her hands was a curled whip.

"I suppose you would like what you asked for," Jessaline announced, gesturing for the rest of the reinforcements to dismount. They did as commanded, throwing the tarp off the goodies that were stocked in the wagon. Much of the boxes held food they had brought along to satisfy their needs.

Nova noticed a bit of a glittering curve in the mix, her heart hammering with excitement at the sight. One of the squadron's soldiers pulled it out, Nova's breath releasing a noise of awe at the bow. The soldier was quick to hand it to her as they continued unpacking. Her hand swept over the surface, her eyes darting over the engrained detailing.

Unlike her first bow, this one was made out of metal. It was still light in her grip as she palmed the new item. Her eyes ran over the swirls and leaves that decorated the surface. The bow was still recurve, and she gave the string a pull to see its resistance. She grinned happily at her new weapon, looping it around one shoulder, so it rested on her back.

"Nova." She looked up to see Christopher. The group was huddled around in a circle. Leon had joined them. With finishing the second bottle of his medicine, he had felt enough strength to walk around. Nova headed over to the group, crossing her arms as she stopped in front of the squadron's leader.

"With Leon feeling better, we need to look into the vampire situation we dealt with," Christopher started, cutting a look to Nova. "You're the only one that knows where the nest is. You know where that vampire would be going. we need you to go search to see if that vampire had made it all the way back to the nest."

"Great, I'll get going now. I shouldn't be too long on horse. I'll come back and tell you if I found anything," Nova spoke, pointing her thumb over her shoulder to emphasize her willingness to go.

"I want someone to go with you," Christopher interrupted before she could do anything. "I want to make sure you'll be okay. We don't want you to be ambushed. No one will be there to help you, nor be able to report back if something bad happens to you." Nova rolled her eyes, not appreciating the sudden protectiveness she was receiving from her leader.

"I'll go with her," Leon offered, a grin spreading over his face.

"No," Nova answered instantly, followed by the rest of her comrades. Leon's smile quickly faded as a frown took place.

"I'm fine," he argued. His eyes darted between all of his friends. They were narrowed with irritation.

"Leon," Nova sighed out. He was quick to look over to the redhead. "We appreciate your willingness to help us, but you still have two days left in your treatment. Your health now compared to your health then could be completely different," she tried reasoning with him. She stepped forward resting a hand on his shoulder as her eyes flickered between his own.

"You can help out as soon as those two days are over, but please, hang on until then before you do anything. Please? For me?" He stayed quiet; his mouth screwed down in a frown as he thought about her proposal. Eventually he sighed, glancing away with an annoyed look.

"Fine, whatever," he grumbled out. Nova let out a relieved sigh, a smile tugging at her lips.

"Ridge can go with you," Christopher butt in, volunteering Ridge without him saying anything. Nova's eyes went to the man in question.

"You don't have to if you don't want to," Nova told him, giving him an option in the matter. Ridge shook his head.

"No, I'll be fine with going," he reassured her with a grin. "We'll be back soon." With that the two grabbed a horse, mounting up for their expedition. They started off at a slow trot while in the city, silence lingering comfortably between them. Nova led Ridge through the familiar scenery she had seen on her way down from the nest oh so long ago.

"Did you know the vampire that attacked us four nights ago?" Ridge asked quietly as they slowed to a walk when the ground started inclining. Nova stayed quiet, a deep sigh building in her chest. She released it slowly, the air whistling between her lips.

"The vampire's name is... or was, Yvonne. My master was named Quintavius and she was kind of his... lover, I guess. She probably figured I would have been one of the only people close enough to him to pull him from the nest," Nova regarded, her tone sounding hesitant with her reasoning.

"Let's hope we won't have to deal with her again," Ridge murmured to Nova, trying to reassure her with his words. she gave him a wary smile as they continued, turning on a bend. They paused their horses quickly afterwards, catching a glimpse of something black. Nova was quick to dismount, leaving her horse as she approached it.

"Nova!" Ridge hissed in warning, jumping from the back of his horse to catch up to her. He drew his sword, holding it defensively as they approached it.

When they got right next to it, Nova took in the crumpled layout of Yvonne's clothing. Nova leaned forward, her fingers brushing over the sun-heated material of the shirt. She tugged at it and watched as dark colored ash poured out from inside. Larger pieces broke into smaller, the disturbance causing bits to float into the air.

"She's dead," Nova whispered, looking up at Ridge in surprise. "Yvonne is dead."