Chapter 31

"The enemy within and all the fires from your friends
The best medicine's to probably just let it win" -"Battle Scars" by Guy Sebastian

~~~~~~

A few days past before the group managed to make it back to the old town. They had been quick to find out that Ridge, despite seeming to be nice, had an extreme hatred for birds. The entire ride out to the old HQ, he was sending the light colored bird glares and sneers from the horse behind the bird.

The horse's hooves clopped along the road as they made their way through the deserted city. With the Resistance moved, the empty place seemed even more quiet. They neared the school, passing it without thought to somewhere else. With the vampire's knowledge as to where the old headquarters was, they didn't want to risk staying there.

"Is there a reason as to why we are in the old city?" Christopher asked from his leading position. His head craned back to look at Nova. She pointed up to a looming mountain range, catching everyone's attention.

"Somewhere along the surface of those mountains is an entrance to a cavern where the vampires live," she revealed quickly.

"There?" Leon called incredulously as he looked up the mountain side as if to find a gaping hole. "They've been right under our noses this whole time?!"

"I think you're missing the point," Pax started, pointing at the top of the mountain. They all groaned loudly, ready for the onslaught of terrible puns to come. "All this stress is mountain in my head. These vampires are clearly ahead of us by a landslide. They are peaking to their abilities. Snow more can we guess their next moves."

"And you wonder why no one likes talking to you," Leon butted in, giving Pax a teasing look. He huffed silently, shutting his mouth. Christopher stopped the group, waving them over to a building that had managed to maintain fairly intact.

They dismounted the horses on the first floor, taking the staircase up to the next level to set up their makeshift base. Nova's eyes fixed on the mountain that rested outside the windows. They were large, taking up the majority of the hall with little building between. Some remained completely intact, the glass fogged over with age and dust. Others were blown out, jagged edges claiming their territory along the edges.

Nova reminisced about her journey down to the city for the first time, remembering the way all the new things were revealed before her. New experiences touched her senses, and she was introduced to the sky for the first time.

It was hard for her to believe that was over seven months ago.

"Was what you said about your experiences before you joined the Resistance true? That you didn't tell anyone what happened because no one had asked?" Tony asked, her eyes narrowing behind Nova as she watched her friend gazed at the mountain. Nova shook out of some sort of trance, shooting Tony an apologetic smile over her shoulder.

"What do you mean?" Nova responded, turning fully around and folding her arms over her chest. The boys had fallen silent, watching the exchange between the two girls.

"I mean, was that the only reason? "No one had asked me"? I feel like with an upbringing like yours, you'd want to gain recognition. You should have known you would have been helpful for the Resistance, yet you kept the information hidden. So, forgive me for being a bit blunt when I say I think there's more." Nova froze, her eyes widening in horror. Leon got up quickly, his staring burning holes into Tony as he's stalked to Nova's side.

"How dare you accuse her of something like that? If Nova was withholding anything from us, she would have told us when we were getting ready to leave the new headquarters, right, Nova?" He turned to her, his eyes searching her earnestly. She kept her gaze down, staying silent as he waited for her to back him up. "Nova?" he whispered, his voice coming out strained. "Come on, Nova. Tell her."

"What are you hiding, Nova," Christopher decided to butt into the conversation, standing up from his position next to the fire starter he had gathered. Leon slowly backed away from her side, hurt filling his face at her silence.

"When Zethus had died... I realized something. I was under control, by an Aristocrat by the name of Quintavius. He had used me... to infiltrate the Resistance to be that inside person. I gave him some information, some of which if I was in my own mind, I wouldn't have told him," she drifted off, taking in the tension in the atmosphere. Her eyes nervously flickered up, flitting from member to member.

The only person who seemed indifferent was Ridge. She breathed out internally, glad someone didn't seem as betrayed by her confession as the others. Her eyes landed on Leon next, who's eyes held pain in them as he quickly looked away from her, not able to maintain eye contact.

Next to be subject from her desperate look was Pax, who already refused to look up from the ground that he sat on. He picked at some pieces of pebbles that were on the ground. Tony was the next one on the list. Nova froze, her heart picking up in rhythm at the look on her face. She had never seen the girl so shocked, her eyes were wide, Tony's mouth in a grim line. It was more terrifying to see compared to a murderous look she would have rather preferred.

Last was Christopher. Nova winced at the way he looked. He was completely still, his face void of emotion, but that wasn't what worried her the most. No, it was the subtle, but noticeable shaking of his clenched fists.

"You gave the bloodsuckers... information?" he rasped out, his eyes flicking up to hers, the stare as dead as she felt she was. "What kind of information?" She stared at him, her eyes like a deer caught in a pair of headlights. There's no going back now. Just hope they forgive you...

"U-uh the amount of Resistance members there was, the knowledge of outposts, the location of the headquarters, and I thi-" she rambled off quickly. Christopher soon cut her off, reaching behind him as he grabbed for his bowstaff.

"What about the operation that got Thalia killed? You exposed details that got hundreds of us killed. I'm sure one girl, your team member no less would be no big deal," he snarled at her, venom lacing his words and digging into her skin.

"No! No, I never told them anything about when we were on that mission with Thalia. Where she... No, I didn't say anything," she tried to plead, waving her hands in front of her in surrender. Christopher did little to pay attention, wasting no time flicking the blade out the end of his weapon. He charged forward, his face twisted in a menacing look as he aimed the blade at Nova. She closed her eyes, breathing in deeply. If anything, I deserve this. I caused this.

The blow never came.

She peeked her eyes open, surprised to see a terrified Leon holding Christopher back with his arms wrapped under Christopher's armpits.

"Let her get what she deserves," Christopher screamed, kicking at Leon to release him. Ridge was quick to assist Leon, grabbing one of the angry male's arms as he fought against them.

"Nova, get out of here," Ridge started, grunting with effort as he tried to contain Christopher.

"B-but, I-I want to help. I can do something! Let him know I-"

"Get out of here!" Leon hissed at her. For once she was on the receiving end of his glare. She quickly darted from the floor, her head down to keep her face from showing to her comrades. She stumbled down the stairs, not bothering to grab a horse as she rocketed out the front door, squeezing herself into a nearby alleyway.

She crumbled to the ground, her knees tucked to her head as she curled into an upright ball. Then she let the tears flow out, squeezing her eyes shut as she tried to silence the hiccup causing sobs escaping her mouth.

I really fucked up this time.