Chapter 25

"After the fall
We'll shake it off
Show me the way." -"Blow My Away" by Breaking Benjamin

~~~~~~

Nova quickly learned what Levi had meant by sore. Her butt was too sore to sit down, but her thighs ached too much to stand. So she laid on her hip in the camp they had set up. Multicolored canvas tents were set up in a clearing along a tree line. Fires started to spark to life as the last of the sun's rays left the sky. She hadn't bothered leaving her tent once it had been set up and she was perfectly content staying in there until they were ready to move tomorrow.

She peered out the flaps of her tent, watching people scurry about before two girls walked by giggling to each other.

"Whoever thought of this idea was great. I mean, a horse race? What better way to take the minds off the people we lost yesterday?" one girl spoke loud enough to catch Nova's attention, having her perk up and listen in. A horse race? After the long trek we had?

"Yeah, but I don't know how Carlson is that big of an idiot for trying to ride the stallion! I mean, I've only heard some soldier and the trainers can get him under control." Nova bit back a laugh, deciding that watching people race would be entertaining. She hobbled up from her seat, wincing as her thighs burned with the movement.

She made her way behind the girls, scanning around her at their set up. Things were surprisingly organized, with rows of twenty tents  with smaller walking rows every five. She walked slowly out of her row of tents to find where they left the horses to graze. There were a few people milling around the feeding horses, picking the ones they wanted to use.

A ways away, spectators formed two parallel lines, sitting on the ground as well as standing as they prepared for the show. Nova made her way painfully over there, finding Leon and Pax as they sat towards the front of the crowd.

She worked her way through, sucking in a sharp breath at the fire raging in her muscles. Without warning she sat between the two boys, her legs tucked under her as she made a pocket between her feet for her sore rump.

"Nova!" Leon called excitedly, noticing her as she sat down. "Are you okay? You look like you're in pain." She sent him a look.

"You have no idea," she started, causing her friend to raise an eyebrow.

"Were you... were you with someone?" Pax whispered with a teasing tone. Nova looked over to Pax, leaning back so both boys were in view.

"Uhm... yeah? I was with Levi for a while, why?" she asked in confusion, going between the two boys faces as shock took over their features.

"Nova..." Leon started slowly, bringing her attention to him. "Why are you in pain?"

"I was riding a horse for too long," she answered in an odd tone, gazing at the two boys warily. She watched as both of them seemed to deflate in relief before sharing a look with each other. "Why? Did I say something?" Nova questioned, causing the boys to shake their heads quickly.

"No! No, nothing wrong with what you said! Just-" Pax was cut off as a person walked out into the middle of the parallel lines.

"Hello, everyone!" started the man, his voice raised and booming over the field. "As obvious to most, we've decided to hold a horse racing competition! We will be racing from the starting of the spectators to the tree line and back. Whoever wins gets off patrol duty for a week!" A whisper rose up from the crowd of spectators.

"Man, if I would have known that, I would have signed up for this race," Leon whined before looking over to Nova. "No offense, baby girl. You're what makes patrol nice, but a man's gotta take a break every once and a while." Nova rolled her eyes at the boy next to her, tuning back in to the announcer.

"First up we have Hale Jones against Savannah Hanes!" The announcer backed up into the crowd as two people riding horses came forward to the start. Savannah, a small girl with dark hair and beady eyes rode proudly atop of a large black horse. Next to her appeared Hale, gently patting a smaller, brown horse's neck. His light hair shone in the setting sun as he waved to the crowd.

At the sound of a solid "Go!" the horses took off. Hooves thundered against the ground, allowing Nova to feel the vibrations through her shins as they sprinted past. The two stayed neck and neck as they neared the tree line. Crowds whooped and hollered for their chosen horse as they rocketed by. Hands were thrown into the air in excitement as some people even got over the ground to jump. Nova stared at them in amazement, wondering how they could manage that after the day they had.

Back the horses raced, the smaller horse pulling ahead of the larger as its legs worked harder in its run. Soon they raced passed the trio once more, Pax going as far as leaping to his feet and shouting praise as Hale crossed the finish line first followed by Savannah.

"And Savannah is out of the game!" came the announcement as the coordinator stepped back onto the field. He continued on to call up the next racers as the process was repeated. Continuous rounds of racing went on until passed dark where people were given lit torches to help light the path of the race. In the end, a soldier named Gareth Housy won the week off of patrol.

After the competition had been won and was over, people began to quickly disperse. Nova stood up slowly with Pax and Leon after the crowd had thinned a little, allowing them to get to their tents quicker.

"Allow me to walk you back, m'lady," Leon said to her with a mock bow. She watched him warily before nodding and starting her way back to her tent.

"Bye, Pax," she called out, waving to the man behind her as he waved back and headed another way.

The two started their ways back in silence, Nova hobbling along slowly. Leon matched her pace, not really feeling as pained as her because of not having a horse. He gazed at her movements, watching her eyebrows screw together briefly every once and a while when a bolt of pain hit her.

"You're really aching, huh?" Leon asked rhetorically, his words soft. Nova looked over to him, a watery smile on her face.

"Yeah, but I'm sure I'll be fine when we move tomorrow," she reassured him as they neared her tent.

"Well, I'll never mind giving my sugar cakes a piggy back ride," Leon responded with a wink, causing Nova to roll her eyes. Stopping outside, a smaller period of silence ensued.

"Well, goodnight," Nova spoke, meeting Leon's eyes one last time before crouching to get into her tent.

"Yeah," he started gently, backing up to leave. "Good night."