Chapter 11~

"You patiently wait for my next mistake
I know it won't be much longer" -"Forever" by Red

~~~~~~~

"If you fuck someone else over this time, I will personally make sure you do not leave alive," Christopher threatened Nova, his eyes flaming with hatred and promise. They neared the building that was their next mission on silent feet and harboring grim expressions.

The building had once been a station to a new form a transportation that had just started to take form right before the vampires took reign of the world. It had been a series of tunnels that had connected below the town. The creators called it a "subway system". But that had happened long before Nova was born. Their mission was a simple extermination of lower vampires, and they didn't have to worry about any royal classed fiends.

They stopped in an opening that more than likely had the purpose of the town square at one point. Christopher's eyes swept the surrounding buildings before point up to a half collapsed five story building. All of the windows were blown out, and much of the rubble contained metal rods with jagged edges.

"There. Nova, you keep watch from as high up in that building as you can get," he paused momentarily, before looking over at Leon. "You join her. Make sure she doesn't fuck us up." Leon sent his leader a glare before grabbing Nova's arm gently and tugging them towards the lookout building. The rest of the squad headed into the subway tunnels.

"Everything will go all right with your knight in shining armor here to protect you!" Leon announced, sending a wink towards Nova. Nova stayed quiet, the nerves getting the better of her as she thought over what Christopher told her. What if I do screw up again? What if someone else dies on my watch? Leon noticed her silence, his demeanor turning to something more serious.

"Hey." He nudged her shoulder, causing Nova to look up at him. "Don't think about what that asshole had to say. Everything will be okay. It's even easier when you have a partner to spot check you," he tried to reassure her. She nodded, sending him a small smile as they entered into the collapsed building.

They climbed their way through the rubble, and managed to get to the third story before the stairs gave away, and there was no way to get higher. Nova  situated herself in a window, kneeling and holding her bow horizontally. Leon sat at a nearby window, his crossbow's scope gleaming in the light.

He stayed surprisingly quiet as they watched over the opening, only commenting on movements. Nova stayed tensed, hoping nothing would happen this time around. Of course, she always seemed to have the worst of luck.

Silently, a figure strode into the opening. His dark hair was swept up and back, giving him a sophisticated, voluminous look. An earring dangled from his left ear, a simple silver bar like style. On the other ear was a stud. She recognized the black uniform. She counted the amount of buttons down the front of his coat. Two, four, six, eight... Her eyes widened and she instantly drew her bow, taking aim at the Aristocrat.

"Nova!" Leon hissed. "What are you doing?!"

The vampire seemed preoccupied by approaching the building in front of him to notice them, and she used that as her opportunity to release her arrow. Dread sunk into her stomach, as the arrow went flying, and the vampire caught it within inches of his head.

He turned slowly towards them, twirling the arrow between his fingers. Nova stared in horror as he smiled. He waved the arrow condescendingly, like a parent scolding a naughty toddler. With a flick of his wrist, the arrow came zoom back to her.

Nova dodge rolled out of the way as Leon fired a few bolts at the assailant. When she landed out of her roll, she glanced back to see the arrow embedded into the rubble that had once been behind her. Nova's hands flew to her ear as she pressed in the communication button.