Chapter 22

"How come I've never seen your face 'round here?
I know every single face 'round here" -"Ready Aim Fire" by Imagine Dragons

~~~~~~

"You can't go." Nova cut a nasty look to Leon. This was their second day back at the compound, and Leon was all but doting on his female companion.

"I'm fine, Leon," she hissed back, finishing strapping her sword to her hip. She buzzed around her room, deciding if she had everything before going to leave the room. Both her roommates had disappeared already, their cots neat and made.

"You just got discharged two days ago! That's not okay!" he argued back, blocking her from leaving the room. Her eyes rolled up to his, narrowing into slits as her mouth twisted into an angered snarl.

"If I was well enough to get discharged and ride a horse back to the compound, I'm well enough to go to an assembly," she hissed, pushing passed him and into the hallway. The normally occupied gardens were vacant with the meeting. "Not to mention this is a mandatory meeting." Leon huffed behind her, following behind as she turned left from her room to head towards the area the assembly was being held.

"At least take it easy. Don't get stressed about anything that might be said," he pleaded with her, speeding up to walk next to her. His eyes travelled down to hers, and she looked up. She was surprised by the amount of earnest concern that swam in the depths of his pupils.

She sighed, rubbing her forehead with her good hand. The other was bandaged and made unmoving. It was to stay that way for the next month before she was free to remove the binds.

"Yes, fine, okay," she relented, causing Leon to break out into a large grin. They made their way down nearly deserted halls, catching up with the rest of the members of the resistance as they filed in through the small, single door. The two comrades made small talk between each other, slowly edging into the large open room.

Once inside, Leon and Nova turned left, making their way up a set of gradual stairs. The two spotted the rest of their squad, heading to sit in the empty seats in the same row. While settling down, Pax greeted them.

"You know why my jokes are so painful?" he started causing his entire squadron to groan.

"Pax, please," Tony warned, leaning around Christopher to send him a look. A mischievous smile lit up his features.

"Because of the punchlines," Pax finished, throwing a pretend punch towards Nova. Leon sent him a glare.

"Pax," he growled, but went ignored.

"I know they give you a real headache." Pax winked tapping the top of Nova's head, causing her to stare off into the distance with annoyance. "I promise I'm not twisting your arm to listen to them, but-"

"Pax!" Christopher hissed, sending his friend a dirty look. "Don't be so insensitive about Nova getting hurt. That is a serious topic that doesn't need to be joked about." Pax shut his mouth instantly, sending an apologetic smile towards Nova.

A hush went over the crowd as Colonel Marie stepped onto the stage. She stood regally with her back of subordinates trailing behind her.

"You all know the vampire problem that has plagued our lands for decades," she started, causing a murmur of agreement to rise. "With the rise of the Resistance, the vampires have become more wary of the position of the humans around them." Her eyes scanned the audience, ready for the breakout that was ready to happen.

"We all know they would go to all sorts of ends to rid us of this world, and they have taken their first large steps towards that. Within the past few days, there was a discovery of a vampire mole within our ranks." A roar went up, people going as far to stand up from their seats. Cries of protest left people as angry shouting came out. Colonel Marie stayed quiet, surveying the rioting crowd as they talked loudly to each other.