Chapter 28

"Got no way to prove it
So maybe I'm blind
But I'm only human after all
I'm only human after all" -"Human" by Rag'N'Bone Man

~~~~~~

They had found a place for the horses. It was a large-ish square area, which they had assumed the people of the past used as a park. They found a jail. It was a small office building with cubicles sectioning off areas. They found a training field, a building a few blocks away that people of the past used to watch entertainment in. What they didn't even think to look for, was a meeting area for the soldiers to gather.

So here Nova was, packed awkwardly in front of the steps of the inn they found. Not only was she smushed to the point the heat of everyone was almost unbearable, but she was too short to see the front where the Colonel stood. She stopped bother to try after a while, staring at everyone's feet. Next to her, Leon craned his head up, managing to see over the shoulders of the giraffe-esque soldiers in front of them.

"Everyone, thank you for cooperating despite the... less than desirable circumstances as to where this meeting is being held." From somewhere in the crowd there was a strangled noise covered up by a cough. "Anyways, we are here to discuss the events following the vampire attack at our old base." A low murmur of whispers rose from the crowd at the announcement of the topic at hand.

"Evidence has been brought to light that the base of the vampires was much closer to us than we realized. Scouts and patrols had no known knowledge of any large mass of vampires moving against our HQ. That puts them within a few miles radius of our base. It appears they were right under our noses the entire time." An uproar went up as soldiers started throwing out protest to one another. Nova stayed quiet as her thoughts wandered to the events between her escape and the entrance into the city. That was easily just a few miles... She mused to herself. I've never been to another area with lots of vampires, but there was quite a few there. Was I born at the HQ...?

"Everyone," came the short, but calm command from Colonel Marie. Silence followed. "I know you're all as outraged as I am, and that's why you are all gathered here today. We're asking you collectively, should we attack back at the HQ?" There wasn't even a moments of hesitation before the crowd went up in confirming cheers. The people in front of her, grabbing each other's biceps in excitement, letting her get a glimpse of the Colonel. She stood, surveying the crowd with a proud look on her face, a small nodding motion accompanying it.

"We ask that you all put forth your utmost effort in preparing yourselves in the war to come. Do whatever you can. Thank you all for the support you show in the cause of the Resistance." With that she saluted the crowd, which all followed suit before dispersing.

"Come on, lets go practice together! I bet I can land more bullseyes than you!" Leon offered, going to tug Nova towards the training grounds. Nova shook her head, peeling his hand off.

"I need to talk to the Colonel about something, but I'll take you up on your offer later today, okay?" she responded to him, assuring their plans before heading towards the inn where the Colonel still stood outside.

"Colonel," started Nova as she approached the higher ranking woman. She turned from her colleague, raising an eyebrow at the interruption. "I need to bring something to your attention."

"Yes?" Colonel Marie answered, her time taking in a business-like attitude.

"I believe I may be from the vampires' main nest," Nova stated simply, watching as the Colonel's eyes along with her colleagues' widen.

"That's a bold declaration to make there, soldier," came the comment from one of the Colonel's teammates. Nova turned towards him, taking in his narrowed eyes and pointed eyebrows that always seemed to make him look angry. "Are you saying you were raised by vampires?"

"Justin, it would be best if you left this discussion," Colonel Marie dismissed, her eyes not leaving Nova. Nova's eyes swung from one ranking soldier to the other as the man turned to glare at the Colonel.

"Marie, I-"

"Now, Justin," she snapped. The man backed away, splitting the two women a hostile look before marching away. From below, meandering soldiers froze at the voice, looking up at them to check out the situation. This went unnoticed by the couple standing up there.

"Why do you think you're from the main nest, Nova?" the Colonel asked once it was the two of them. Nova shuffled her feet, clasping her hands together in front of her.

"I could be mistaken, I don't know exactly what other nests are structured as. I lived in the vampire city for my entire life. I was born there, raised as food. It was large, and all underground. I didn't walk far when I... escaped to when I got to the old base of the Resistance." Nova swept her eyes away, looking down at the ground. I never really escaped. I didn't want to...

"That could easily be a numerous amount of things," Colonel Marie announced, her eyes narrowing in skepticism. "Don't be wasting my time on things you're unsure about, soldier." With that, the Colonel turned away to walk off.

"Wait!" Nova interjected, raising a hand. "I can tell you about the social structure. Maybe that'll be different than the normal nests, just to be sure." Colonel Marie stopped, looking over her shoulder. She sighed before turning around, crossing her arms as an eyebrow rose.

"You got a minute."

"In the city I was in, there was a structure. We had schooling, the vampires said that teachings always made the blood sweeter. We were taught a little bit about it, but I learned a bit more due to my... position," Nova paused, looking down before unconsciously rubbing her neck. "I was a blood bag to an Aristocrat named Quintavius. Because of this, I was able to understand the social structure more than the other slaves. There are three high overseers, five Aristocrats and a queen. I don't thin-"

"A queen?" the Colonel interrupted, her eyes alighting with a fire inside. Nova froze before nodding her head. Colonel Marie scanned around them before heading inside, ushering Nova along with her.

"I'm going to need you to tell me everything you know about the place you lived. I want everything."