Chapter 49

"To the left, to the right
We will fight to the death
To the edge of the earth
It's a brave new world, it's a brave new world" -"This Is War" by 30 Seconds to Mars

~~~~~~

It seemed like Nova's surroundings were an unending sea of people. Nearly fifteen hundred people were gathered in one place. She would be lying if she said it wasn't suffocating.

It was another four days back. They managed to hire two ships to bring the nine hundred soldiers back to Estium. She had caught glimpses of the top ten squadrons. Their uniforms were slightly different from the underlings, a golden strap connecting from their shoulder to some folding near the buttons down the front of the jackets. The soldiers from Oprilon had different uniform colors, being a deep, velvet red instead of a deep blue like the uniforms on Estium.

Aside from the staring she had done with the top sixty, she had not spoken to any of them. Nova had no clue as to what their personalities were like.

It was a relief to find that when the ships docked at the bay, the Colonel herself sat waiting for the company to disembark. On the way back to the city, the Colonel had informed Christopher's squadron that the rest of Estium's Resistance had moved back to the old HQ, save the outposts protecting the human cities.

Now here they stood in the rubble of the ruined city, humans stretching out and filling an opening as the Colonel and her squadron stood above everyone else.

"It is nice to see so many faces for once," Colonel Marie spoke, her voice carrying over the crowd. The murmurs silenced as everyone trained on the six people at the platform raise in front of them. The Colonel struck her usual pose, her back as straight as possible with her hands folded behind her.

"First, I must thank all the soldiers that come from Oprilon. Without your contribution, we wouldn't be standing where we are today. Without you all, within a couple of days, the fight for Estium would be over, with humanity once again under the boot of the vampires.

"A few miles south of this city rests the main nest of the vampires. There, two thousand bloodsuckers fester. Three Aristocrats and three High Overseers rule next to the Queen. Most of you won't worry about the seven royals. The job for the majority of you is to kill the underlings. Save the humans that are down there.

"I'm going to be frank with you all. Not all of us will survive. They have five hundred to six hundred more fighters than us, but, we will win. Our victory is certain. We will prevail. We will erect monuments to honor your lives. Stay with us, and fight for those whose lives have already been lost." Whether or not Colonel Marie for the reaction she wanted, the crowd stayed deadly silent. None seemed ready to desert after her words.

"All of you, get prepared for the fight; I need to speak to Christopher's squadron and Percival's squadron," Colonel Marie finished, her eyes scanning over the crowd to single out the people she was looking for.

As the crowds dispersed, the twelve chosen people made their ways to the stage. They instinctively collected in their respective groups. Nova's team going up the right side of the stage as the other went up the left.

"I'd like you guys to meet each other. You all are accompany my squadron into the castle to take care of the royals." Both teams stayed silent at the news, accepting the role they had been given. "Is there anything you want to say before we head out?"

"It's a pleasure to work with all," Ridge spoke pleasantly to the other team. The man, who was presumably the leader, crossed his arms in front of his chest, tilting his head back in observation.