Chapter 45

"A part of my soul is fading
But now by letting go somehow
Unshackled and unbound" -"Fading" by Decyfer Down

~~~~~~

Nova stretched as she stepped off of the gangplank. She breathed in the air, taking in more than just wood and sea water. The light wind caught her cape, the end fluttering around her calves. She could smell a fish market from where she stood. It wasn't the nicest of smells, but something welcoming compared to the four days of traveling they dealt with on the boat.

"Get moving," Christopher broke her thought as he pushed by. He carried a knapsack over his shoulder as he pushed down the pier. She sighed, smiling at the bustle of activity before following after him. She couldn't help the slight wobble to her legs as she stood on solid ground. A mass darted past her, jumping up and slamming into the ground.

"Land!" came the anguished cry from Pax as he shoved his cheek into the sandy dirt of Oprilon.

"Pax!" Christopher hissed at the overdramatic wizard. He slowly picked himself off the ground as the remaining three members came from the ship.

"I'm sorry, man; I just hate ships," Pax apologized half-heartedly as his eyes scanned the surroundings. He jumped back onto the pier when a few men scurried by carrying a large fish between them.

"What do we do from here?" Nova asked as the group caught up with the other two boys at the end of the pier. They moved out of the way as people from the boat they were on moved past them, continuing on with their own business.

"We head to the capitol from here," Christopher answered her as he looked around. He started moving, the rest following aimlessly behind him as he weaved his way through the crowd.

"Where's the capitol from here?" Ridge asked as he squeezed awkwardly through a small spot he barely fit through.

"I don't know," Christopher responded, finding a few guys hanging out on some barrels.

"Hey, you two," he said gruffly, causing the two guys to stop talking and stiffen. "Where can we find the capitol from here?"

"Oh, about 100 miles or so that way," one man spoke up, jabbing a thumb over his shoulder. Christopher growled under his breath. He glanced back at his friends, their faces pleading to not have them walk.

"Do they have transportation from here to there around?" he questioned again, causing the other man to pipe up.

"There's a buggy service on the opposite side of town that way. It'll take you a couple hours to get there," the man explained. Nova looked instinctively at the sky, seeing the sun was still in the morning position. Christopher walked by them without a word, causing the rest to scramble after him.

"Thank you," Nova said in a rush as she past the men, flashing them a smile. They weaved their way through more crowds, surprised to see more people filing in as time went on. Soon they came to face the front of a building, a wrought iron cut out of a carriage standing proud about the structure. Christopher held a hand up to halt his tailers outside as he walked through the swinging wooden doors.

"Am I the only one that feels left out?" Pax asked, pouting. Everyone gave their own noises of agreement as they stood around quietly outside. People openly stared and whispered at the five outcasts who stood suspiciously around the opening of the carriage center. Nova's eyes warily went from one person to another. Most would look away when she made eye contact with them. She unconsciously sidled closer to Leon, there arms touching. He looked down at her, about to tease her when the door opened up again.

Christopher walked out with a man. The man was older, a thick black beard decorated her lower face. A tall hat sat on top of his mess of curls, the material a black that matched his hair.