Chapter 30

"Hey sister! Know that water's sweet but blood is thicker
Oh if the sky comes falling down, for you
There's nothing in this world I wouldn't do" -"Hey Brother" by Avicii

~~~~~~

She busied herself around her room, making sure her swords sat in their sheaths and her bow was laid on top of them. She had a small bag of food and water set aside, knowing she'd be at the old city for a few days, along with travel.

Much to Nova's surprise, Leon hadn't been around. He was the only one that currently knew she was off to head back. He wasn't too happy to hear about her mission. She expected him to try to talk her out of leaving. Yet the room was silent and bare as she gathered the items she needed.

She hummed as she went to collect what little clothing she had. Most of the time, they wore their uniform, but on off days and days for washing they need other clothes for themselves. She stuffed the clothing in a knapsack, tying the top closed. She snatched up the quiver filled with arrows, laying that next to the pile she was starting to create.

She surveyed the room one last time before grabbing her swords, strapping them to her sides. Then with another hand she grabbed the arrow quiver, throwing that over her shoulder. With one hand she grabbed the two bags. In the other, she held her bow.

She strolled out of the room, taking her foot to close the door behind her. She jogged down the flight of stairs and out the front door. As she left the door, Pax met up with her, glancing over the load she was carrying.

"Woah, where are you going?" he asked, jumping in front of her. She stopped, sighing as she readjusted the quiver on her shoulder.

"I've been tasked with using my connections to thin out the vampires before the start of the battle," she responded. A confused look spread over the mage's face.

"Connections? What connections do you have that would help get rid of some vampires?" he questioned, causing Nova to look down.

"There's something that no one really knows in the team. Something I really should have said to you guys earlier." Pax shuffled uncomfortably in front of her, causing her to look up. "No offense to you, but it's probably something I should share when everyone is together. Maybe after I come back from where I'm going."

"No," Pax said stopping Nova from going anywhere. He closed his eyes, whispering something under his breath. Soon, two blue spinning circles formed next to his temples. Once he had finished whispering to himself, he opened his eyes, the circles shrinking before completely disappearing. "You'll tell the whole team now."

~~~

It hadn't taken too long before the group had formed. Each one, as they showed up, asking why Nova was carrying so many things on her person. She began to feel the pressure building as they all stared at her and waited for her to speak. She had already broken the news to Leon, who stood by the others with a knowing look.

"What could possibly be so important that you took us all away from our training time to hear what you have to say? Where are you going?" Christopher asked condescendingly, his weapon clench in his fist.

"There's something I haven't shared with you guys yet," Nova broke off, looking down at the ground. "Don't get mad, just no one ever asked me about my past before. What my upbringing was like. I was born as a slave to the vampires. Raised to feed them my blood for sustenance." She glanced up, seeing Christopher frozen still. His emotion were left masked as he stared at her.

Everyone else besides Leon and Tony had their jaws drop in surprise. Pax glanced around seeing the three that didn't seem to react at all.

"Why aren't you guys surprised?" he exclaimed. Christopher stayed quiet as Tony shrugged her shoulders.

"I lived and killed on Biro most my life. Hardly anything surprises me anymore." Pax took her reasoning seriously, his gaze landing on Leon.

"I'm her roommate. We have the occasional late night confession chats." Pax and Leon shared a grin between each other.

"Have you managed to hear anything ab-"

"What does this have to do with where you're going?" Christopher interrupted them, sending Nova a narrowed eyed look. She looked down again before being her gaze back up, meeting the eyes of her teammates.

"The Colonel and her team have come to the conclusion with me that I am from the vampire nest that runs this... country. With this, I volunteered myself to help... rid of some of the vampires that I knew."

"By yourself?" Christopher injected, making Nova nod her head in response.

"I figured it would be best I did this alone. I don't want you all to get involved with my personal affairs. It would be a burden to you an-"

"Shut up," Christopher bit out, effectively causing Nova to close her mouth. "Don't let me ever catching you say that again. Who gives a shit if it's your personal affairs? We are a squadron for a reason. Your problems become our problems. Do I make myself clear?" Nova nodded her head quickly. She couldn't help the smile that broke out of her face at the fact that Christopher, the man who said would never forgive her, was coming to help her.

Leon grinned, jumping his way up the steps as he looped his arm around her shoulder.

"That's what I like to hear! So what do we have going on? A little russle tussle? Giving vampires around the city a good one two?"

"How about we get packed first so we can go with Nova to help," Tony answered Leon, an eyebrow raising in discontent as she looked the eager boy up and down.

"I agree with Tony," Christopher added, sliding his staff into its harness on his belt. "We need to prepare ourselves for what we are going to do. Let's bring a carrier bird in case we need to send messages back to the base here. It's always better to be safe than sorry." Everyone nodded in agreement.

They were all quick to head to their rooms to pack up the essentials they needed for their journey back to the old HQ.