Chapter 19 -

"Here's to being human
All the pain and suffering
There's beauty in the bleeding
At least you feel something" -"I Am Machine" by Three Days Grace

~~~~~~~

"How did you manage to escape the vampires? Are you okay?" she questioned, looking him over, he stayed still, watching his friend check him over for wounds. When she found out there was none, she looked back up at him with a sheepish grin.

"I just snuck out through that tunnel we found. After the riot, the vampires have been weaker with less humans to supply them," Inigo responded. Nova nodded her head in acceptance. His explanation was perfectly logical. Her eyebrows drew upwards in a realization as she grabbed one of his biceps.

"I am so sorry that I was so brainwashed down there! You were right about the whole thing. It was miserable back with the vampires! I didn't realize how much... Freer I'd feel out here. Vampires are the worst," she exclaimed, sharing her revelation to her friend. He slowly raised an eyebrow at her confession.

"I don't know... I think vampires aren't half bad now," he spoke in a tone Nova couldn't place. Nova rolled her eyes.

"Okay, ha ha. I get it! You're giving me a taste of my own medicine," she said sarcastically and jokingly. Inigo shook his head, and Nova's smile dropped in confusion. He clasped his hands on each of her shoulder before pushing her slightly.

She went flying across the alleyway, her head smacking painfully against the brick of the building. She collapsed to the ground, cracks and a large indentation left where she landed. Her vision swam as a sharp, throbbing pain started at the back of her head, stretching into her temples. In her swimming vision, she saw Inigo stoop down to pick up his hat. He placed it back on his head, adjusting it as he approached her. She quickly struggled to sit up, her hand shakily reaching for her last remaining sword.

As her hand gripped the hilt, Inigo slammed his foot onto her hand. She cried out as she felt something crack. He twisted his foot a bit more, sending her a sadistic smile. She froze, blinking her eyes to make sure she was seeing correctly. He had fangs. Realization and dread bloomed in her chest as she glanced up at his eyes. They were still the same gray, but she saw them flicker a bit, revealing the blood red below them. A spell? Inigo noticed the terror in her eyes, his grin growing wider as he leaned closer to her.

"Quintavius sends his regards," Inigo said a cooing, condescending tone. A light hiss left his mouth as he leaned towards Nova's neck to bite down. Nova tried to roll her head away, only causing her brain to throb. She brought her remaining hand up in defense, trying to push away her assailant. Inigo easily grabbed the flailing hand, holding it away as he closed in.

But, before he could sink his teeth into her skin, there was a sudden metallic knocking sound followed by a foomp. Inigo launched himself back, a crossbow bolt speeding past where he used to sit. Through blurred vision, Nova weakly lolled her head to the side, seeing Leon standing at the end of the alleyway. Though she couldn't see it, he wore a fierce look on his face. A hiss came from Inigo, as he went to lunge for the newcomer. Then he stopped abruptly when four other figures appeared next to him.

Glancing one last time at Nova, he turned the other way, sprinting off before jumping to the roof tops and escaping. With the threat gone, Leon abandoned his crossbow, throwing it to the side as he darted towards Nova. She groaned, lifting her good hand up to her head. She went to cradle the back, only to flinch at the pain that intensified. This caused a groan to squeeze out between clenched teeth.

Leon slid to his knees, stopping in front of her as he reached out to hold her jaw. He looked down at her hand, gulping at the unnatural angle her bones were at. He glanced above her, taking in the cracked-filled indention in the building. He swore under his breath as he picked her up carefully bridal-style, making sure to lay her head onto his shoulder, so it didn't bounce about.

"Pax, get our weapons, please!" Leon asked his comrade, desperation lacing his voice as he rushed out of the alley to the main streets.

"Someone! Help us! Where is the clinic!"