Chapter 14

"A heart made of stone callous and bone
Fracture and tear it out to let it go" -"Anthem of the Lonely" by Nine Lashes

~~~~~~

High Overseer Harlow mulled over the information she had received from Xerxes regarding the mole for them in the resistance system. She sighed, rubbed a hand through her hair, before tugging on her bond to beckon her pet.

As she bided her time, Harlow strode across her quarters, towards the kitchen. She opened up the refrigerator door, searching for O+ blood. Once found, she ripped the bag open, pouring the contents into a wine glass. She heated the glass in a microwave for a bit, before cautiously taking out the heated drink and sipping it as she waited for him to arrive. She sashayed gracefully towards an armchair, sitting down and crossing her legs.

When he did arrive at her room, he gave a subtly knock on the door. She answered strongly, motioning for him to come in. He slid through the door, closing it quietly behind him. She sipped a bit of her drink. He crossed the room quickly, kneeling in front of her without a word. His forearm rested across his knee, and he bowed his head in respect, awaiting her orders.

"I have heard rumors about the mole for the resistance becoming a possible defect. As it should be clear, that is detrimental to our operation." She rested her glass on an end table, uncrossing her legs as she leaned forward in her seat. She placed two fingers under his chin, lifting his head to look her in the eyes. She smiled, taking in the red of his irises. The light bounded off them, giving them a shiny, gemstone look.

"How are you enjoying your new life, little one?" she asked in a cooing tone.

"It's much more favorable than my previous," he answered dutifully. She smiled widely in satisfaction. Leaning back, she reached off to the table situated nearby, plucking a bottle with a triangular top. He watched her movements with awe before dropping his head once more.

"This is a potion that alters the appearance of your eyes. For Changlings such as yourself, the liquid changes your irises to the color pre-transformation. To keep the appearance up, you need to apply this three times a day. You can also just drop some into you eyes right before you go interact with the humans. The effects kick in within seconds of application." She handed him the bottle.

"Little one, look at me," she demanded softly. He brought his eyes up, meeting hers.

"You'll more than likely meet your friend again. Do you think you'll be able to handle that?" she asked him. His gaze hardened as he thought of how much he loathed the person.

"She is my friend no longer. She disrespects and kills our kind. She is an enemy," he seethed out at just the thought of her. Harlow grinned maniacally in response, happy with his reply.

"Good, and what do we do with our enemies?"

"We end them."

"There's a good boy. You know what to do, Inigo."