Chapter 35

"You wanted a soldier, but it wasn't me
Because I could never set you free" -"Angel" by Theory of a Deadman

~~~~~~

She stared at the box that Tony carried. The outside was very unsuspecting. It was a sort of large box, the inside covered in padding to hide the horrors within. Within rested the bloody head of Quintavius. Her heart clenched at the idea, still not believing she had driven her sword through his heart.

Christopher had the carrier bird resting on Ridge's arm as he attached a paper to its leg. Everyone knew what the paper said.

Aristocrat dead. Send reinforcement squadrons and supplies. New bow needed. Bolts and arrows. Sharpening stones.

Once the news was attached to the bird, Christopher had it hop onto his arm, so he could take it to the window. The bird was rather pretty looking despite the predatory features of it. Its back was all solid black feathers, wrapping onto its head and surrounding its eyes like a mask. Its neck and chest was a creamy white, flecks of black littering the expanse. Its beak almost looked domestic compared to its sharper features, tri-colored and hardly curved.

"Base," Christopher announced to the bird curtly. He received a squawk in response, the bird unfurling its wings as it shot off his arm and out the window to fulfill its command. He turned back to the group, taking on their faces.

"Time to catch us another messenger," he announced, twirling his bowstaff between his fingers. His eyes skimmed over everyone, his eyes resting on Nova. She squirmed uncomfortably under his gaze.

His next words surprised her.

"Nova, you... uh," he paused his words, looking away as he started towards the door, "good job with the Aristocrat."

"Everyone did," he added in quickly over his shoulder after his initial statement, but it didn't stop the grin from spreading onto Nova's face. She could tell him complimenting her was his way of telling her he forgave her for not telling them the complete story behind her past.

The five romped behind Christopher, Tony keeping a handle on the box as Ridge watched her surroundings. Leon nudged Nova, a beaming smile on his face.

"You've been officially reaccepted fully into the group," he whispered to her. She gently nudged his shoulder, staying quietly as she settled happily back into herself. She watched their surroundings, her bow being left behind at their temporary encampment. She felt rather naked without the wooden weapon at her side, leaving only the familiar weight of her swords behind.

Christopher stopped briefly, looking back to the others as he beckoned them closer to him. Nova and Leon shared a look before approaching him. They all stood in a small huddled circle, Tony holding the box within the center. Nova's eyes drifted down to it, her nose wrinkling in disgust as a putrid smell started to ooze from the seams. Despite the smell of death, she knew that vampires decayed much slower than humans. For what reason that was, she didn't know.

"We'll look for a smaller nest closer to the opposite side of town closer to the mountain. We'll take all out but one and send them back to the main nest to deliver the head," Christopher announced to the group, causing everyone to nod their heads in understanding.

The trip across town was quiet. No one wanted to alert the vampires of their presence as they walked quietly through the abandoned streets. Soon they approached another squared opening surrounded by buildings. Pax broke off from the group, muttering under his breath. His staff sparked to life, the crystal flashing brightly before fading out. It would flash brightly again, repeating the process as he neared one of the buildings.