⇝ Chapter Five

After leaving Loki in the training room, you got Steve to watch him as you had 'important matters to attend to'. You knew Steve would work him harder with that type of stuff, so you didn't mind.

In this moment of free time, you decided to shower and try to get over Loki's comment. You realize he doesn't know how much it means to you, but also he can't just go around insulting every hero's name because there's always a reason they're called what they are.

You grab your (F/B) and head downstairs to the tower's massive library. It's no surprise you're the only one who uses it, but that's exactly how you like it. Your usual chair is inviting on this day of exhaustion with its plush black surface and you plop down and throw your feet on the footrest.

You crack open the first page and begin scanning the familiar words. Not ten minutes later, you hear the door creak open and Loki walk in wearing his usual attire, armor and all.

"I'm sorry."

Your eyes snap to his and you sit up in your chair with the book softly placed in your lap. "Why?"

"I told Steve what had happened and he nearly knocked me out. I did not realize how important your names were to you all and I am sorry for my words," Loki clarifies awkwardly.

"Have you never apologized before?" you question, noticing his odd actions.

"No, I don't think so."

You smile and shake your head in disbelief. "Well, I appreciate it."

Loki nods then continues. "Why is your particular name important to you?"

You sigh and gesture for him to sit on the identical chair across from yours. He does so hesitantly and sits as if on a throne.

"To keep it vague, I went through hell for twenty-four years of my life. I never had anything or anyone and there was nothing I ever had a chance to do for myself. When The Avengers found me, they said if I worked hard, I could be like them. A hero.

"That fueled me to train hard and never give up. It was tough, but I managed to succeed. By that time I took and passed the test to become apart of the team, they already had a name. Virus. Because viruses infect people and change the state they're in and they never go away until their job is done. That's what The Avengers saw in me and that was something I never thought I could see in myself."

Loki listens to every word intently and rubs a hand on his chin. "If you do not mind my asking, what did this 'hell' you went through entail?"

You lean back in your chair. "That's a very personal story that I think we should save for another time."

It wasn't that you didn't trust Loki with your past, it's that you never told anyone. The Avengers were there and read your file, so they already did. Loki understands that trust has nothing to do with this subject. He knows all too well that it's the memories that hurt worse than the words.

"Do you mind if I read with you?" he asks, subtly changing the subject. "This library is bigger than that on Asgard."

"Not at all. The shelves are labeled and the more classic sections with Shakespeare and Dickens is over there," you say, pointing across the room.

"How did you know I enjoy their works?" Loki questions.

You shrug and go back to your book. "You just seem well read."

Loki smiles as the compliment. Never has anyone said something of that nature to him. Of course, he is known for being intelligent, but no one has been able to detect his personal type of read. Everyone assumes he's more into biographies or historical books, but he is much more the complete opposite.

Loki realizes the thoughts he's having and vanishes them in a second. He goes to the sections and plucks out Macbeth by William Shakespeare, a favorite of his because of the unforseen gore and intricate story. He sits across from you and the two of you silently read together.

Two hours passed and you and Loki finished your books nearly at the same time then proceeded to talk about your favorite authors and their works. Another hour passed like a breeze and you can honestly say you've never felt more relaxed in your life.

As for your new friend, he's never felt relatively close to anything of the sort with someone. You are not like other mortals nowadays who don't delve into classic literature and truly understand the work of complete genius between two covers.

"I honestly thought no one understood that. He obviously never loved her or else he would've given her the white rose from the garden!" you exclaim as your heart races from book adrenaline.

"The entire city was tricked in the end because he simply threw the rose away. If he really loved her, it would not have been a choice at all!" Loki replies in uncharacteristic excitement.

"What the hell are you guys doing?" a voice coming from the door asks.

You and Loki switch your gazes from each other to the very confused looking Clint standing at the entrance.

"Fangirling," you say as you know Loki won't utter a word anyway.

"Whatever. Natasha and I cooked lunch if you want some," he says.

"Yeah, we'll be there in a second." You wave him off and he leaves the room.

You turn back and see Loki back to the stone-cold God he used to be. You can tell just by the way his mouth is set in a thin line and his eyes are boredly staring in to yours.

You wordlessly stand and move toward the door in hope that the Loki you were speaking to not five minutes ago--the real Loki--would appear again.