⇝ Chapter Nineteen

"My son is quite taken with you," Queen Frigga states, elegantly gliding over to sit on one of the chairs. "Please sit."

You hurriedly take the chair across from her and stiffly sit with your hands in your lap.

"I-I, yeah," you stutter.

"There is no need to be so nervous."

"I'm sorry, Miss. I'm just shy," you explain.

"Please, call me Frigga. I have actually been meaning to talk to you about Loki since I saw how he acted with you upon your arrival in the Throne Room. I have never seen him so happy, even though his happiness has always been tricky to detect," she says.

"That's what everyone says," you reply, still not comfortable with being in a room, not only with Loki's mother, but the freaking queen.

"All right. Tell me about yourself."

"W-well, I've been an Avenger for about four years. I don't have any parents. I enjoy reading and adventurous activities. My favorite color is (F/C)."

Frigga laughs and you smile nervously.

"You are obviously a sweet girl. I can see why Loki is so fond of you. Never in his life has he shown interest in another the way he does you. It makes me happy that you make him happy."

"Thank you," you reply.

Frigga looks to become slightly hesitant in what she says next. "You know Loki will live a very long time and I also had this talk with Jane that you will age-"

"No," you cut her off. "I'm actually immortal. I can't die."

"Oh." Frigga looks shocked. "I guess there is not a problem then."

"Of course. I'm very much in love with your son and I promise I'll do everything to keep him happy and sane."

"I know you will. Now, would you like to see some of Loki's baby pictures?" she questions.

"Holy shit, yes!" you shout, quickly covering your mouth. "I am so so sorry."

"It is all right, (Y/N)." Frigga waves it off and suddenly a book appears in her hands.

She opens the book and hands it to you. You look down and immediately recognize the raven-haired boy in the photographs. He seems so young and carefree to your eyes.

"It was before he knew he was a Laufeyson and not Odinson. When he was born, he was a small Frost Giant and an embarrassment to his parents, therefore segregated from other giants," Frigga reveals.

Your eyes widen. "He didn't tell me that." You ponder for a moment. "You're saying that after finding out he wasn't your son and he was used as a bargaining chip, he also had to find out he was a complete embarrassment to his own people as well?"

"Yes," she whispers sadly.

"My poor baby," you mumble with near watery eyes. The thought of how betrayed and hurt he must have felt physically pains you at this point.

"Do not worry, dear. He is clearly fine now."

"It always seems that way, but I know he stills thinks about it. It's so obvious that he's still hurting from everything," you reply, running a finger over Loki's adolescent face.

"Really? How so?" Frigga questions, interested in how you've managed to detect something in her son that she has not.

"I never thought about it much, but the way he looks at me, it's like he's just waiting for me to get up and leave him and he's holding onto me for life. Now I understand why. Everyone he cares for leaves him," you answer, a lone tear slipping from your eye that you quickly wipe away.

"But you won't. You said it yourself that you are immortal. You will always be by his side," she states.

You close the book and set it upon the table separating you and the queen but you manage to skillfully swipe one of Loki's childhood pictures first and slip it in your pocket.

"I know, but I wonder if it will be enough for him," you say.

"Trust me, I have never seen anyone in all my years look at someone the way my son looks at you. It is true love," Frigga insists.

"Thank you," you say, wiping the remainder of tears that had gathered in your eyes.

"Mother, what have you done to her?" Loki's voice suddenly enters the library, appearing to be angered that perhaps his mother made you sad.

"It's okay," you say quickly, jumping up and running to his figure.

You reach up to his shoulders and yank him down with one hand on the back of his head and the other pressing against his upper back for his head to nuzzle your neck. Since he is a lot taller than you, he's nearly bending all the way forward to accommodate the position. You run your hand across his back and Loki loosely wraps his arms around your waist.

"Darling, I've only been gone an hour," Loki says with a muffled voice.

"I know, but I missed you and I love you," you reply, kissing the side of his head.

Loki manages to raise his head and he stares at his mother with an accusing gaze. "What did you tell her?"

"I was showing her your baby pictures," Frigga replies.

Loki groans and meets your red eyes. "Is that why you are crying?" he asks.

You simply nod and he smiles before kissing your forehead. Frigga holds in her surprise that you were able to lie to the God of Mischief, but then again, you might also be emotional because of how innocent he used to be.

"Well, if you will excuse us, we have to be packing to head back to Midgard tomorrow," Loki says, dragging you along.

"Already?" you whine. "I like it here."

"I figured we would perhaps come back to live here once The Avengers thing is over," he replies, walking with you down the hall.

By over, you know he means when they die.

"Would that make you happy?" you ask, glancing at your intertwined hands before looking back at his face.

"I think it would. It seems that everything is right in the realms and I would like to come home once our time on that planet is over."

You smile. "Then so be it."