⇝ Chapter Eight

The air grew colder almost instantly, and that's when you knew they arrived. The sky seemed to dull a lighter color, and when you looked out the window of the tower, you could see thin ice slowly covering the ground.

Now, you're changing into your gear packed with guns and knives and all the little trinkets. Loki and Thor--changed into their traditional armor--assure everyone that this won't be easy and they explain everything they know about the Frost Giants and their powers.

When you join the others, they're working on separating in to groups to spread out around New York.

"Tony, you and Clint be the eyes for us. Bruce, Fury is waiting for you on the landing pad, so get moving. Natasha and I will head East while Thor goes rogue and (Y/N) and Loki take the west," Steve directs as everyone puts in their ear pieces.

"Sounds like a plan. Watch out for civilians and don't fuck this up," Fury's voice says through the comm.

You look over at Loki's oddly relaxed form and tap his arm to grab his attention. He shifts his gaze downward and has a light smirk at your tight-fitting clothes.

"You look edible," he says barely above a whisper while the others are too busy running off to take their positions.

"Thanks, but none of that now. Are you okay?" you question seriously.

Loki frowns. "I have fought them before, quite skillfully I may add. I know I am one of them by blood, but they are not my family."

"Good," you reply, "because you're not a monster. In this fairy tale, you're definitely Prince Charming."

"I'm better."

You grin and shake your head before resting a hand on his shoulder. "Yeah, now teleport us and you can show me how to slay a dragon."

Loki puts an arm around your waist and teleports to a bridge where the ice has grown thicker, but isn't as slippery as you had imagined.

"What the hell is that?" you ask through a laugh, pointing at his head.

"Shut up," Loki grits out. "It is a helmet that I wear with honor."

You put your hands up in defense and go to take a step back, only for Loki to pull you so your chests are touching.

"Stay safe. We still need to talk about what happened," he says lowly.

You reach a hand up to play with the hair on the back of his neck, ignoring the rumbling of feet pounding against the ground in the distance.

"Your safety is my priority. They're coming for you. Plus, I'm immortal."

"You say that like it is easy. You do not know how much you can take until your body gives out. You may seem immortal now, but you never know just what it takes to bring you down."

You sigh and stand on your toes to softly peck his lips in a burst of confidence. "I've lived through so much you don't know about yet, and I know what I can handle. You're the one I'm worried about."

"I have lived through wars upon wars. This will not be the battle I die in. That would just be cruel."

You hear the rumbling getting closer and wish you could continue the conversation, but with a fleeting breath say, "Well, good luck then, my king."

Loki stares in to your loving eyes for a second before the both of you turn and prepare to fight. You look and see the same creatures from the Norse Mythology book you've read hundreds of times before.

The Frost Giants are huge with skin that looks like ice and rocks combined. For a second, you wonder if that's what Loki's true form looks like, but you dismiss the thought of him with those blood red eyes that are begging for destruction.

He is nothing like them.

You whip out a gun for each of your hands and rapidly fire bullets at the giants. You're glad you had prior knowledge of the beasts before heading into the fight and grabbed electroshock bullets that first paralyze them hopefully kill their targets instead of regular bullets.

You make sure to keep an eye out for Loki as he uses the scepter to easily fend off the enemy while throwing in some magic tricks here and there. When one of the Frost Giants got very close to Loki, you saw his skin tint to its natural blue color before it vanishes when he destroys the giant.

At the same time, Loki made sure half of his attention was on you at all times. He understands that you think your abilities are unstoppable and nothing can kill you. From what he has gathered, you were obviously tested on, but he knows Midgardians would not know to add anything to protect from other species.

Loki doesn't know what he'll do if one of those... vial monsters gets the chance to lay a hand on you. He swears that if they even get a chance to breathe on you, he will slaughter every last one of them. But for now, he will do his duty in protecting the city and Earth from Jotunheim's unholy wrath.