Chapter 1: Another new school

"Class, I'd like you to meet our new student, Dean Winchester. Dean, would you like to tell us a little bit about yourself?" The perky teacher smiles brightly at him.

"Not really. " Dean says and some of the class sniggers.

"Okay. That's fine, you don't have to. Why don't you take the empty seat next to Faith, there and we'll get started. " She pointed to a pretty little brunette girl that had her head down.

He walked over and took his seat. He was 9 years old and already seemed like a bit of a rebel. He leaned back in the desk and ignored everyone for the rest of the morning, until the teacher called for lunch and recess. The class lined up single file and walked silently to the cafeteria to get their lunches. Today's lunch was burgers, fries and some sort of mixed veggies.

"Not touchin those." He mumbles to himself before snagging a chocolate milk and heading to the empty end of a long table.

The other kids in the cafeteria were talking loudly and eating. Sighing, he takes a bite of his burger. He noticed a group of boys sitting at the table across from him whisper and point to that Faith girl he sat next to in class. Suddenly, a green bean goes flying across the table towards her. It bounces off her shoulder and lands on Dean's table. The other boys crack up laughing. Dean glares at them, but continues eating his burger.

Dean didn't want to make friends here, if he stuck up for someone it would only lead to friends. He knew they wouldn't stay long anyway. It was pointless to make another new friend only to have to go through all the heartbreak that was normal lately. He'd decided to just not get attached anymore. This was like the millionth time that Sammy and him had been packed up and moved ever since Mom died. Dad kept leaving and when he did come back it was usually time to go again. As Dean got older, Dad stayed away longer.

When the cafeteria started emptying for recess, he was the last one to leave. Outside he sat down alone next to the side of an equipment shed and picked at the patch of dried grass growing there. He watched the other boys in his class play dodge ball, chase girls and climb on the jungle gym.

"Hi," said a quiet voice behind him. "I'm Faith Lehane. Can I sit with you?"

Dean hadn't even heard her come up behind him. She must be really shy, he thought.

"I don't care." He replied.

She slowly sat down and pulled her knees up to her chest, gripping them tightly with her dirty fingers.

"Where'd you move from?" She whispered.

"Kansas."

"Wow. That's far away, right?"

"Yeah."

"Do you like it here?"

"Boston's not too different from anywhere else." He replied, focusing on the playground. Hopefully she'd get the hint that he didn't want to talk.

"I've never been anywhere else." She continued and turned her head away as if talking to someone else, whispering even quieter. "...doesn't want to be my friend.."

Dean thought he heard, but ignored her. She continued to mumble incoherently.

"What?" He finally asked her after a minute.

"...don't have any friends except for Alex... But he thought that maybe you might....want to be..." She mumbled awkwardly.

"I don't need friends."

He turned to look at her and he saw the tears shining in her eyes. She was going to cry. He saw a single tear fall and land in the grass by her feet and felt ashamed of himself.

"Aw, come on. Don't do that."

"...its okay." She says between sniffles. "My Mommy says no one likes a snot nosed brat."

Dean didn't know what to say to that at all. So he just sat there feeling very uncomfortable.

"Look," he finally replied. "My Dad told me once that he'd punch the snot outta me if I didn't keep a good eye on my brother. But, he didn't really mean it. I'm sure your Mom didn't either. Its something I learned."

"You really think so?"

He shrugged. "Yeah. I guess I can be your friend. I don't have any either."

He didn't know who her friend Alex was but didn't mention that he hadn't seen anyone with her all day.

"Really, really? You mean it?" Faith wiped her wet face on her shirt.

"Why not? We both got crappy parents." He turned back to the playground.

Faith's eyes lit up as she smiled and wiped away the last of her tears.