Chapter 21 - Save Your Goodbyes

"Faith?" Sam tapped on the passenger side window of Bobby's van.

She looked over and smiled sadly. He returned the smile. After talking for a long time with Bobby it finally hit her hard that she had to say goodbye to Sam. She had never been good at goodbyes and she didn't want to see him go. She just got him back.

"Faith? Get out of the van." Sam's voice cracked behind the glass. It was dark but she could tell he was crying.

She did as he asked but every bone in her body felt like lead.

As soon as she stepped on to the concrete in the dark alley, his huge arms enveloped her. She choked back her tears and held on to him with everything she had. Her head rested on his chest.

"Faith your hurting me." Sam said quietly.

"I'm sorry. Sometimes I still don't know my own strength."

"It's fine." He leaned back and stared at her with a slight smile on his face. "Take care of Dean for me."

"Let me just stalk out Lisa's house for you." She said sarcastically.

Sam released her and looked down at her sternly.

"I told you to fight for what you want."

"I'm done fighting, Sam. I just want him to be happy. Whether that means he goes back to Lisa or even chooses the hunt."

He shook his head firmly. "He promised me he'd quit hunting and settle down. Dean finally has a chance to have that happy apple pie life. So do you."

"Slayers don't settle down, Sammy. I thought you knew."

"Drop the sarcasm for once."

"What do you want from me?"

"This is probably the last time I'll see you. I want you to take care of yourself. Be happy."

She laughed but it fell flat. "That's a lot to ask."

"It's so simple. Why don't you or Dean understand that?" He groaned. "I love you, Faith. I'm glad you finally came home."

"Me too."

Sam leaned down and hugged her again. It brought a tear to her eye. She was glad it was dark so no one else would see it.

"I'm not telling you goodbye, Sammy. So you can forget it."

"I know." He kissed the top of her head.

-----------------------------------

Faith sat in the Impala waiting for Bobby, Dean and Cas to come back. She couldn't watch Sam take that long walk to Lucifer. It was hard enough sitting in the front seat on pins and needles. She almost wanted to pray to anyone that all this would work and Sam would come walking back with that oafish grin that he always wore.

But, from what she had heard from the boys, the big OG in the sky was an absentee father. So, screw that idea.

She picked at her fingertips for what felt like forever until she heard a single set of heavy footsteps. Turning around in her seat she saw Dean's silhouette coming towards her up the dark alley.

He opened the door and wiped his face with his hand before sitting behind the wheel.

She instantly knew it had gone bad.

"I need to make a phone call."

"That's it?"

"It didn't work. Sam wasn't strong enough to fight him and now Lucifer has the rings. Now get out."

Faith knew now was not the time to fight him on this. So, she bit her tongue and got out.

She wrapped her jacket tighter around her at the sudden chill in the air.

She heard Dean talking quietly in the car but couldn't make out the words. She wished she knew how to help in this situation but her brain was failing her except to find out where Lucifer was and kick his ass. Then again, she had learned the hard way that would never work.

Dean got out of the car and busied himself in the trunk.

"Packing for your vacation already? She teased him hoping to lighten the mood. She knew it wouldn't help.

"Not quite."

"Then what?"

"I'm going back to Kansas. I have to talk to Sam."

"I thought Sam was gone."

"I have to try, Faith."

She didn't reply just watched him hustle around. Finally, Bobby and Cas came walking down the alley with a purpose.

"You goin someplace?" Bobby asked sternly.

Dean only nodded in response.

"Your goin to do somethin stupid. You got that look."

"I'm gonna go talk to Sam." Dean replied.

"You just don't give up." Bobby said angrily.

"It's Sam!" Dean yelled back.

"If you couldn't reach him here, your certainly not going to be able to reach him on the battlefield." Castiel spoke up.

"Well, if we've already lost then I've got nothing to lose, right." Dean replied.

"I just want you to understand, the only thing your going to see out there is Michael killing your brother." Castiel reasoned.

Dean nodded, his eyes clouding up, and said, "Then I ain't gonna let him die alone."

The three of them shared hooded glances but no one said a word in response.

Finally, Dean turned to Faith as he open the driver's door on the Impala.

"Faith?"

His eyes pleaded with her, but honestly he should have known he didn't have to ask. Faith agreed with him wholeheartedly. Even if this failed too, at least Sam, somewhere deep inside Lucifer, had to know he wouldn't be alone.

She climbed back in the car and Dean sped off.

After twenty minutes or so, Dean finally spoke.

"Thanks for having my back."

"Technically, I had Sam's back."

Dean nodded. "Thanks for having his back, then."

"So, what's the plan?" She asked him.

"Be at Stull Cemetery tomorrow at noon and crash the party."

"Well, we've got a lot of time to kill between now and then."

He nodded.

"How long till we're back in Kansas?" She asked.

"A few hours."

"Well, crank some tunes. I need a drink."

She turned around in her seat and dug around in the backseat for her bag and came back with a bottle of whiskey.

"Seriously, Faith?" Dean asked, stunned.

She grinned. "Hey, the world's gonna end if we don't get through to Sam this time. What do we have to lose?"

He cracked a smile. "You're something else."

"Hell yeah, I am. And before you ask, no I'm not sharing until we're there. You, sir, are my designated driver."