Chapter 2: Heartbreak

1 Month Later

John Winchester's POV

There was a knock on the door of John's motel room. He wasn't expecting any company. He didn't even really know anyone in the area. And his boys were at a birthday party for one of Sam's friends. Maybe Dean had gotten bored and dragged his brother home. That seemed like him. He got up from his dinner, brushed his hands on his pants and answered the door. What he saw wasn't what he had expected to see.

A little brunette girl about Dean's age stood there with blood dripping from a large cut above her eye. She was crying hysterically.

She managed to eke out, "Dean..." between sobs.

John picked her up in his arms and quickly shut the door. He carried her to the couch and turned the television off. He stooped down in front of her and grabbed some of the napkins off the table. Wiping some of the blood off her face she squeaked out Dean's name again.

"Calm down honey. I'm Dean's daddy. Can you tell me what happened? What did this to you?"

John's first thought was a demon or something bad that goes bump in the night. But what she said shocked the hell outta him.

"My daddy...." she wailed.

He sat there stunned for a second before he gathered her in his arms and hugged her frail little body.

"It's gonna be okay, sweetheart. Were gonna fix it, okay. Everything's gonna be just fine. Hush now."

As he cradled her in his arms, her sobs slowing, he couldn't believe that the world could be so cruel. Well that humans could be so cruel. He sat back and rocked her like he used to do with Sam when he was a baby. She soon fell asleep and he kept rocking her, almost in tears himself.

This must be the little Faith girl that Dean and Sam talked about all the time. Dean's little friend had a cruel life. He felt the pain of her seep into himself. It made him sick to his stomach that a man would beat his own child. He had a strong urge to take care of of this pitiful excuse of a man. But there wasn't much he could do. He was human, and John didn't deal with humans that way. He couldn't. Though he wanted to badly.

Finally, he sat the now fully asleep little girl on Sam and Dean's bed and covered her up with a blanket. He went to his bag and got some bandages and alcohol wipes to clean her face up. Her soft breath hit his face as he gently wiped her face. When he put the bandage on, she rolled over and her bare arm slipped out from under her blanket. For the first time he saw the bruises up and down her arm. They were starting to purple. The anger started to build up and he kept it under wraps. He moved the blanket to see her other arm. The same large purple bruises there too. He took a deep breath and brushed the little girls hair out of her face. Then he went and sat down on the couch keeping his anger under control until his phone rang.

"This is John."

"Mr. Winchester? This is Monica. Jason's mom?"

Oh shit. He had forgotten to pick the boys up at their party. "Oh I'm so sorry. I got a little tied up."

"That's okay. We're actually on our way. We were dropping another boy off down the street. I hope that's okay."

He sighed. "Yes. Thank you."

"The boys said you live in the Ratscaller Motel. Is that right?"

He heard the disapproving tone in her voice. "That's right. It's just temporary though."

"I heard. Dean told me that too. We'll be there in just a few minutes."

She hung up and he took a quick swigg of his beer and stepped outside, leaving the door cracked in case the little girl cried out. He sat at the little bench until headlights shone in his eyes. A white suv pulled in and his boys hopped out. He heard Sam thank the woman and he felt a little pride swell up. That Sam was such a good boy. He reminded him of his Mary....

He cleared his throat quickly and put on a solemn face, remembering the girl inside. He needed to have a quick chat with the boys, but mostly Dean.

The white suv drove away and Dean looked at his dad.

"Dean, come here boy." He patted the bench next to him and motioned for Sam to sit too.

"What's up, dad?"

"I need you to go inside in a minute. But you need to be quiet. I don't want to wake her."

"Wake who?"

John sighed. "I'm not sure. But I think it's your little friend Faith."

Dean shot up and looked at Sam. "Stay here with Dad, Sammy."

John watched his oldest son push the door open a little and peer in at her. He took a few steps in and John heard Dean inhale sharply. He walked back out and worry was plastered all over his face.

"Was it a hunt? What hurt her? Is she okay? Can I come with you to kill it? Or did you already kill it?"

"Slow down, son. The thing that did this, we can't kill it."

"Why not? Whatever it was, I want to hurt it bad." Dean's fists clenched until the white of his knuckles showed and there was fury plastered on his face.

"Because it was human."

"What?"

"I'll explain later. But for now I want you boys to go to bed and Dean, look out for that girl. She's staying here tonite okay."

Dean nodded and ushered Sam into the room. Then he turned to his dad.

"What are you going to do dad?"

"I'm going to handle this the only way I know how. That's all you need to know. Now go inside and take care of your brother and that girl."

John got in his car and fired it up. Dean was still watching from the door. Before he pulled out he saw the single tear fall from his son's face glisten in the light from his headlights.