Chapter 3 - Bad News

"What do you want to play today, Dean?"

Dean was meeting Faith at the park. It was what they did every saturday. Something they both looked forward to, but not today. After everything they'd been through in the last three months, he didn't want to say what he had to say. His heart broke every time he thought about what he had to say.

The bruises on Faith's arms were just starting to fade to a pale yellow. Enough for her to feel comfortable wearing short sleeves again. He remembered when he had first seen them and had demanded her to tell him what did that to her. She had cried again, which made him want to cry too, and when he finally heard her say that her daddy had done it. He almost went to her house himself to try to hunt him down like one of his dad's demons. But Sam had been the only one to stop him. His little brother was always the voice of reason. But two days later Faith had come to school saying that her daddy had died. Dean immediately thought it was his dad. His dad had killed her dad. So he had gone home and demanded answers. No he hadn't killed him, and he wasn't really dead.... it was just easier for Faith to think he had died. But he was gone and never coming back. That's what his dad told him.

Dean looked at the ground, trying to be strong when Faith took his hand.

"Where's Sam? Did he not want to play today?"

He just shook his head, no.

"That's okay. We can play alone today. You want to play pirates again?"

Dean let go of Faith's hand and stopped her before she ran off to play. "Faith, wait."

He didn't want to hurt her, but there was no way around it. That just how things went. Daddies weren't ever around or they hit thier kids. And moms got drunk or died. Sadness was everywhere and it made him angry. Faith needed him. Bad. But he couldn't stay anymore. He didn't want to go. They always had to go. No questions asked. And the worst part was that he was bad at goodbyes. It was why he didn't make friends. But Faith had been an exception. One he had been happy about. Until now, anyway.

"What's wrong?"

"I have to go."

"You just got here. Don't you want to play with me today?"

He pouted. "It's not that, Faith. I have to leave. Move away. Sammy, too."

Her face dropped. "Why?"

His chest hurt to see her face like that. Almost like when his mom died. He didn't get to say goodbye that time.

"My dad came home last night and said were leaving."

"Where are you gonna go?"

"I dunno." He scuffed the ground with his shoe.

She started to cry. He hated it when she cried. "It's not fair. No one ever stays." She whispered.

"I wanna stay, Faith. I do. But it's my dad. And I have to stay with Sammy. You know that."

Dean looked up when she went silent, and watched her face change from completely heartbroken to gut wrenching anger in seconds.

"Just go! I don't care arymore! You just don't want to be my friend anymore. I know. Alex told me."

Dean had learned that Alex was her "imaginary friend" that only came around when she was really lonely or hurt. He always ignored it when she spoke of him. Only this time it came as a shock to hear about Alex, since he hadn't been around in weeks.

He wanted to tell her that she was wrong. She was his best friend. He wanted to stay, more than anything. But instead, he just nodded once, sighed heavily, turned and headed out of the park.

"DEAN! Wait!"

A sobbing Faith lunged at him from behind and hugged him so tight he couldn't breathe. He squeezed back just as hard until he couldn't take it anymore. He let go and walked away as fast as he could.

He cried the whole way back.

___________________________________________

Sorry, it's such a short chapter. But I hope your all liking it. :)