Chapter 10 - Daddy's Back

"Dean, I thought this was what you wanted. Hell, last week you said yourself that you boys needed stability. So what changed?" John Winchester stood outside on the crumbling stone steps that led to the boys motel room.

He felt bad for being late again. It seemed he could never make it on time to where he needed to be lately. But that was besides the point. Dean had practically ambushed him just as he parked the Impala in the lot. John had noticed the lights were off in the motel room, so Sam must have been asleep. It was after 3 am, so both boys should have been in bed. But, there was Dean rambling on at his car door before he even stepped out.

He had finally calmed the boy enough for him to have a seat on the stone steps. Dean had earnestly explained about the man who had followed the boys all day, only to have attacked Faith hours earlier. They had talked quietly for almost an hour.

John rubbed a large hand over his face. He was very tired from driving for 8 hours straight to get back to the boys. He could use a hot shower and a soft bed.

"It's Faith, Dad. I can't leave her behind this time." Dean's voice grew quiet in the darkness.

John sighed deeply. This was new for Dean. He never cared about anyone or anything except himself and his brother.

"That's real nice of you, son. But there isn't much we can do about that. I'm sorry she got attacked and I'm real glad you boys made a good friend, but there's nothing I can do. Now, I'm going to do a quick walk around the building and make sure that man isn't around anymore. Then I'm going to bed."

Dean nodded before replying, "Oh, Dad. Faith's on the couch. She was too scared to leave, so I told her to stay."

John rubbed his face again and shook his head. What was he going to do with this child? First, he's starting fights over nothing and refusing to make friends everywhere they go, now this.

He nodded at his son and waved him back inside. "Go on, I'll be right behind you."

John watched his oldest son walk inside and close the door behind him. He made his way slowly around the building with his eyes wide open, taking in every tiny detail.

His mind wandered as he walked. He really hoped he was making the right decision about the boys. He had struggled most of the last 10 years on what was the right way to handle them. But, he never really knew for sure. Dean had been adamant the last couple of years that Sam was better than this life. But, John always thought that both his boys were better than this life, but what choice did he have? Knowing about the demons, ghosts and monsters only made things worse, honestly. But, he would never tell anyone that.

There had only been one person that John would trust with his sons, and that was Bobby Singer. He had been like a brother to him over the years and become a sounding board whenever John needed to vent or even just needed information on a job.

John had worked various jobs with Bobby and they made a great team, even though they both preferred to work alone. His boys had only met Bobby a few times and seemed to like him.

But, it had taken a lot of nerve for John to ask the favor of his friend. Bobby had recently decided to take some time off from hunting. It was perfect timing, he thought. But, Bobby wasn't so sure. He hadn't agreed, really just said he'd think about it and hung up on him. John didn't blame him. It was a lot to think about. Two normal teenage boys were alot to handle. Sam and Dean weren't normal. They were Winchesters.

Turning around the back of the building where it was much darker than the front, he heard the wind pick up. Otherwise, all was quiet.

John's mind wandered to the thought of Faith. That poor girl had been through enough bad in her life without even knowing about the real monsters. He had made a few phone calls to dig a little deeper into her past. His heart broke for her and he wished there was anything he could do. Then again, he had helped put her abusive father in prison. He had thought that would help but it only forced her weak mother into alcoholism and mental abuse before the girl knew what a good life was. How was he supposed to know that would happen?

The girl still made him feel guilty. Especially because his boy's were so attached to her. He knew she had become quite the little criminal in the last few years. Shoplifting, breaking and entering, criminal mischief to name a few. It would only get worse if she were to stay here in that group home.

John sighed again as he deemed the area clear for now. Hopefully the man would stay away from them now that he was back. If not, he had a few bullets that would guarantee the man would leave them alone or die.

He stepped quietly into the motel room and in the flickering light of the television that had been left on, he saw the dark haired girl dead asleep on the couch. She had grown up alot since he had last seen her but he still saw the mousey sweet little girl he remembered from before. She had been a good friend to his boys. He had tried to harden his heart to her after hearing the things she had done since they had left her as a child. But looking at her now, sleeping in one of Dean's tshirts that seemed to swallow her inside it, and the bruise on her face purpling just as he remembered when she was little, he knew he had to do something. Just as Dean had said, he couldn't leave her behind.