The Tale Of Golden Trash (Pt.2) : "Talent"

A week passed by after that Clear Nova Butterfly incident dry quickly for Jaune. Professor Peach had assigned both he and Cardin additional work as punishment for interrupting the class. He'd been practically locked away in the library, trying to both finish the assignment and get his head clear of the Clear Nova Butterfly incident.

"My soul mate can't be Pyrrha, right!? I mean..... She's Pyrrha Nikos. The highest ranking freshman, while I'm the lowest ranked. We're opposites...."

"Mr.Arc. I suggest you leave. The library is closing. It is already 8:00 Pm." The librarian, an old and frail lady named Melony Becun broke his thoughts.

"What!? Already!?" Jaune groaned.

"But I'm almost finished! Aw man! Professor Peach is going to kill me!"

---

Pyrrha waited anxiously outside Ozpin's office, her nerves already spiking.

"Ms.Nikos? Ozpin will see you now."

---

Jaune walked to his dorm silently, refusing to look up. If he did, he feared the other beacon students walking around the halls would assault him.

It was common nature now, for him to be assaulted. Even if he did his best to hide, if he did his best to remain unseen.

But for some unknown reason, the students almost feared him. He noticed that the students refused to even make eye contact, as if they were afraid of the consequences.

Then he heard the whispers, the quiet talk about him.

"That's Jaune Arc. He's on a team with Pyrrha Nikos."

"No way! Isn't Jaune Arc only a rank 24? Why is he paired with a rank 45?"

---

"You can't be serious, Ozpin." Glynda said, shocked at what the headmaster himself had just stated.

"Oh but I am. We will host a small 1-on-1 tournament amongst our students in preparation for the Vytal Festival." Ozpin replied simply.

"But some of the students are not yet ready-"

"It is not wither or not they are ready, it is about if they have the correct talent to improve upon this event."

"Forgive me, Professor. Why was I needed again?" Pyrrha asked, feeling like they'd forgotten about her sitting down in a chair in front of Ozpin's desk.

"The winner will have the honor of facing you in the finals."

"And? I assume there is more."

"You will be responsible for training Jaune Arc."

---

Jaune had arrived at their dorm, but surprisingly no one was inside. He checked the current time; 8:27 pm. An hour and a half until curfew. Nora and Ren were probably still doing Ren and Nora things, but Pyrrha? Well, Jaune half expected Pyrrha to be in their dorm.

-N-

So. I bet you're all thinking dirty about Ren and Nora.

Don't worry. They're just making pancakes, at 8:30 pm. Nothing strange about that.

Nothing at all.

Nothing.

-N-

Pyrrha smiled as she walked back to their dorm, Ozpin's voice ringing in her head.

"Are you up to the challenge, Ms.Nikos?"

"Yes, Professor."

Pyrrha found herself excited to spend more time with Jaune. She couldn't say that she liked Jaune in that way, but she enjoyed his company. He treated her like a normal human being, and not a goddess as most of the other people whom talk to her. He was nice, but there was something about him. Although his rank was horrible, Pyrrha felt a powerful presence within him, a God-tier talent that if awakened would make him untouchable.

"Good. There is, however another wrinkle."

At the reminder of her daunting task, her smile faded.

"A wrinkle, sir?"

"If Jaune does not surpass the rank of 30 before the Vytal Festival, then I will be forced to expel him."

"Oh! Jaune! I wasn't expecting you back yet!" Pyrrha exclaimed once she reached their dorm.

"Yeah well, I didn't have anything else to do." Jaune replied.

"Don't you have any other friends?"

"..... I don't......" Jaune sighed, as if accepting the fact that someone noticed.

"No. I don't have any friends." Pyrrha paused, a shocked look spreading across her face.

"Don't I count as a friend, Jaune?"