SERGEANT

THE SERGEANT AND THE SOLDIER

It had only been two days since my 18th birthday, I knew at a very young age what I'd wanted to do with my life. Now that it was happening I was scared to death. I clutched the army green duffle that held what little valuables I had, I had no idea of that to expect in the hours to come.

As we entered the state of South Carolina my heart rate began to speed up in just hours I would be at the base, being worked to death and constantly having someone on my ass. But this is what I want out of life, in a way I feel like this is my destiny.

We all stood lined up waiting for the Sergeant to come talk to us. When he walked through the big iron door to the court yard I felt the breath leave my body and my heart flutter. He was a very handsome man, maybe in his early 20s. He was very tall and very muscular.

As he walked along the line that me and all the other recruits were instructed to stand along but not on, he stopped for a very brief second when he was standing in front of me, I could feel my cheeks burning trying my best to hold my stance. When he walked past the last person in line he stood I front of all of us and starred again at me, only me.

"TONIGHT YOU WILL GET SETTLED IN. TOMORROW THE REAL FUN BEGINS." His voice was so load and deep.

I was so thankful that the base barracks were more like dorm rooms, all sleeping quarters were private and big enough for a single bed, a desk and a cheat of drawers for clothing. Each had a small 2 piece bath with a shower and toilet. Though the laundry rooms were shared. The Mass hall was just around the corner form our building. The drill sergeants had their own private living quarters fully equipped with a kitchen, living space, laundry and a full bed and bath room.

The rest of the day consisted of unpacking and dinner at the mass. We had a curfew at 11:00pm we all had to be checked into our barracks but we are free to come and go from the base once we got through a month of basic training. Once I'd finished my shower and brushing my teeth I headed through the door to my room. I pulled a plaid pair of pajama  bottoms and a white tank top on and crawled into my bed. It took me a while to fall asleep because all that I could think about was him...

He was so handsome and I've never felt this way about anyone, ever. But with him it's like I couldn't look at him enough. This actually made me excited for whatever torture was in store for me tomorrow. I slowly drifted off to sleep as I tried to focus more on how early I had to wake up and prepare for the day. Last time I looked at the clock it was nearly 11:30pm. Then I was sound asleep.